using comet (dry bleach) to sanitize mr. beer keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebeer

Reaction score
its active ingredient is sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate. it's not pure bleach. the ingredient mentioned only makes up 1.2% of the disinfectent. i realized this after i put the stuff in my keg. is this going to do any damage to my keg? the keg is made of food grade plastic. should i pour the the bleach/water solution out? i was going to let it sit for 1/2 hr. i only used a small amount of it in the 2.5 gallons of water though.

i poured it out. it's meant to clean toilets and hard surfaces. so will this work and will it do any damage? cause im about to start brewing

I'm not sure about long term damage, but rinse the keg VERY thoroughly with hot water before you use it. You don't want to smell any of the cleaner. If you want to use bleach as a sanitizer I would get some plain liquid bleach instead. Even better than that would be to get some no-rinse sanitizer like iodophor or starsan.

Comet is not bleach, and it will scratch surfaces. Pour, rinse, do not repeat.

Cleaning and sanitizing are 2 seperate things. ANd you don't want to use anything that "scrubs" on plastic gear like comet, you could scratch the plastic in your mr beer, and leave yourself open for infection.

In the future buy some unscented oxyclean or the generic variety to clean your brewing gear....AND you still need a no rinse sanitizer after you clean. The one step that came with your Mr. Beer is not a true sanitizer. Pick up iodophor or starsan instead.

Here's a good thread with info on sanitizers.... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

Revvy said:
Cleaning and sanitizing are 2 seperate things. ANd you don't want to use anything that "scrubs" on plastic gear like comet, you could scratch the plastic in your mr beer, and leave yourself open for infection.

In the future buy some unscented oxyclean or the generic variety to clean your brewing gear....AND you still need a no rinse sanitizer after you clean. The one step that came with your Mr. Beer is not a true sanitizer. Pick up iodophor or starsan instead.

Here's a good thread with info on sanitizers.... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

it does claim to be a "no stratch" sanitizer, but i think that only applies to hard surfaces. on the plus side i didn't keep it in there for very long and i only used a small amount. afterwards i rinsed and did a run with plain liquid bleach, but i didn't have a no rinse sanitizer. hopefully it will still come out alright.

You can mail order both iodophor and starsan online at several sites if you don't have an lhbs near you. If you live anywhere near a farm and feed store you can buy a concentrated iodine solution similiar to iodophor used to sanitize milking and dairy equipment (it's actually cheaper in cost than buying iodophor at an lhbs, you can get a full gallon for about 20 bucks as opposed to 8 or 9 bucks for a couple ounces of iodophor.) You use the same 1 tbs/5 gallon dillution..

Or you can use household bleach as a sanitizer....If you go that route I suggest you listen to this Podcast on basic brewing, Chuck Talley the developer of Star San actually spends more time and gives more advice for using a combination of Bleach and vinegar than he does talking about starsan.

You can listen to it here... http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Back