cold crash then bottle condition??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
Ok so here is what I did. (First off let me explain that I have never bottle conditioned before, I went right to kegging from the get go.) So I had about 6 gallons of finished IPA in the 2ndary and I cold crashed it as I normally do before kegging. Since I couldn't fit all 6 gallons in my corny keg I put the first gallon or so into bottles with measured out amounts of priming sugar (yes I know this is a risky way to do this.) So my question is will there still be viable yeast in the brew to bottle condition? Or by cold crashing did all the yeast lay down at the bottom and not get in the bottles? If it matters I only cold crashed over night not for an extended amount of time.

If you racked the beer to a bottling bucket, you're sure to have swiped some yeast off of the trub just from the flow rate. Yeast settles at the top of the trub and the suction from a racking cane is sure to draw off enough for carbonation purposes. Remember, your cold crashed yeast is dormant, not completely dead. Warmth will roust the activity in the yeast, so just keep the bottles on the top shelf of a disused closet in the dark for three weeks and you should be fine.

Well I didn't use a bottling bucket. I racked directly off the top id say 1/3 of the carboy into each bottle before putting the rest in the keg. I realize the yeast isn't dead, i just wasn't sure if it would have all fallen down below where I racked from. Only time will tell I guess

If it is only the first gallon I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if the bottles turn out flat you can always pour them back into the keg and put them under pressure. I've done that once already and there was no ill effect on the beer, in fact it was the opposite. I took an undrinkably flat beer and made it drinkable.

Back