can I mash it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
Can I effectively mash 7.5 pounds of grain in a 5 gallon bk using the biab method? I'm trying to make edwort's Haus pale ale (partial mash) by substituting 3 pounds of the dme for 5 pounds of 2-row.

I mash in a 5gal stock pot with BIAB up to 8 lbs of grain using a large grain bag that can be folded over the edges of the pot. Any more than 8 lbs and it gets REALLY heavy!

You should be good if you have a huge grain bag.

Sweet news! Would it work out best and up my efficiency if I step mash or single infusion?

Sweet news! Would it work out best and up my efficiency if I step mash or single infusion?

A single infusion is fine, especially since you don't have a ton of room in your pot. A step mash is really only beneficial for malts that need it, like undermodified malts or some wheat-heavy beers. It isn't designed to increase efficiency in fully modified malts.

I do a single infusion mash (1.25qt/lb) @ 152F for 60-70 min when I do BIAB with up to 8lbs of grain and get right about 80% efficiency every time. I use a slow pour over sparge with 168F water 1qt/lb.

I mill my own grain though, LHBS's mill too coarse so you have to buy more grain from them!

Back