Drunken Emu Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I followed the original recipe almost exactly using Notty yeast just over 2 weeks ago and my gravity is sitting around +/- 1.024. I didn't bother with an OG but I figured it would drop pretty low because it's almost completely simple sugars.

Hmmm. It's great tasting just still very sweet and thick like cider. Should I repitch another pack? Half pack? I think it would taste great once carbed but I'm a bit scared of bombs.

Yes. Wrap them in the towels in a tote or the bathtub so that if they explode, the glass does not fly all over and the cider doesn't either.

I plan to bottle in 1 liter plastic seltzer bottles. Since they can take tons of pressure, would it be the best way to keep it fizzy?

PS Is the chocolate flavor too much for this? I was considering just dropping that ingredient.

Made this up a couple months ago, followed the original recipe exactly. Ended up with an OG of 1.088!, much higher then anticipated. Took over a month to ferment down (I think due to low ferm. temp and possible under pitching), I bottled with a FG of 1.008 putting it at 10.5% ABV :drunk:.

I let it carb up for 2 weeks and sit in the fridge for a week after that, trying one every week. This stuff is definitely better carbed, makes it much smoother. I was concerned that the high ABV would make it taste hot but the alcohol is hidden very well. This stuff is delicious! I don't really get much of the chocolate but the cinnamon and nutmeg come through. This stuff is a big hit among my friends. Surprisingly smooth, just the right amount of sweetness. I will keep this on my list of things to make again! :mug:

I mixed up a batch of this today per the original recipe ended up with an og of 1.082
Smelled great going into the carboy. Really looking forward to this one.

I'm gonna go ahead and "dredge" up this old thread...I just made a gallon tester of this recipe, although I subbed light brown sugar for dark brown sugar...I used 3 tablespoons of the swiss miss powder that I "borrowed" from the church's hot-choco tub...Am looking forward to tasting this; man it smelled good going into primary!!!

Racked this off at 1.007...the flavor is quite interesting...hint of chocolate and malt...I love the taste from the ale yeast and there is really heavy body to this-I would surmise it comes from the dried milk powder in the instant cocoa packet...not much cinnamon flavor, although there were a faint scent and of it on the nose...going to let this clear up a bit more, and then back sweeten, and stovetop pasteurize after carbonated...

Thank you for reviving this thread. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Going to try this recipe next.

Original post batch size is 5 gallons, but the recipe only calls for 4 gallons of cider/juice.

Did I miss something?

Just found this site while looking for cider recipes. As a cider lover and chocoholic, your recipe sounds really interesting. Which kind of hot chocolate packets did you use - the kind that you just add water to as it already has powdered milk in it or the kind that you have to use milk as it's only just the cocoa powder and sugar?

Maintains Apple Cider flavor, crisp, but smooth with no hint of alcohol. Goes down very smooth, and is sweet like the original cider with a hint of cinnamon and an almost chocolate-apple aroma.

I have brewed up about 50 gallons of cider this year, and after 20 gallons of this recipe I came up with it surely is a winner in my book. I would love it if people gave this a go and let me know what they think.

A few notes before we begin:

- I have seen a few different OG readings over my batches, ranging from 1.040 to 1.075 so I'm estimating the average to be around 1.050. Note that yours may vary.

- Secondary is up to you. I leave it alone until the FG hits 1.000. You can go farther, or stop sooner.

Ok, let's get it on!

Equipment:

5 Gallon Carboy/Better Bottle/Pale
Airlock
Large Pot

Ingredients:

- 4 gallons of Apple Cider (UV Pasteurized, NO preservatives, unfiltered)
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2Lbs DARK Brown Sugar
- 1Lbs White Regular Sugar
- 6 Packets of Nestle Hot Chocolate (No Marshmallow's) (Trust me here, we are going on an adventure together)
- 4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 packet of Nottingham (I STRONGLY suggest Nottingham for this)

Started my first batch of Drunken Emu (and first batch ever) on 11/29 using NineMilBill's measurements for 1 gallon though I did add a touch of nutmeg. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to order the Nottingham yeast so used the Lalvin EC-1118 that I had on hand to make a batch of mead

Back