Floating hops in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howardbeach

Reaction score
I did my first all grain with dry hopping. I forgot to put the hops in a muslin bag and now they are floating on the top of my secondary. I want to bottle today. Can they be filtered out with, lets say, nylon pantyhose on the end of the racking tube, into the bottling bucket? I don't want hops floating in my beer

Nylon pantyhose or a small grain bag around the end of your racking tube will work great! I've done it on every beer I've dry hopped and it stops nearly all of the floating hops while allowing more than enough yeast for bottle carbing to get through.

I tried that with a piece of nylon but i used pellet hops and they were floating everywhere,it was getting clogged and bubbled the crap out of it racking, i ended up just taking the filter off and racking the rest as was,beers turned out fine.

I never had any luck with a straining bag on my racking cane. BUT, I just kegged 10 gallons of beer today with 3 ounces of dryhops, and I didn't have any problem anyway. I start the siphon under the floating hops, but way above the trub, in about the middle of the fermenter. As the level of the beer lowers, I lower the racking cane. If I start to see yeast in the tubing, then I back up a bit. It works great, and never a clogged siphon!

i've had the worst problems with dry hopping in a carboy. i'm in the process of getting some 5 gallon gasket lid buckets from the local bagel shop. they just throw them away when the grain is all gone. I'm also getting my friend that blows glass to make me a giant marble to use as a sinker.

i'm going to put 4 ounces of whole leaf hops in a strainer bag, and sink it with the marble. i'm going to use a 5 gallon bucket so that i don't have to worry about excess oxygen. 7.5 gallon buckets have too much head space.

i've had terrible bubbling problems when putting a strainer bag over the racking cane.

Back