Octane IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabber

Reaction score
Anybody brew Octane IPA from Midwest Supplies? I love IPA's and was thinking about trying this one.

dabber

This was my first brew. I did the oak chips in the boil and they did not add much (they are supposed to go in the secondary). I choose to dry hop in the secondary (1 oz Kent Goldings I believe). It was good, but I have created much better IPA's in my opinion. This kit uses gold (light) and amber LME and I believe that gives it a more caramel, almost candied taste to it.

I have not brewed the Octane IPA but I have brewed Midwest's Double IPA and it was quite excellent....lots of compliments on that one.

I did it. It was a big hit at a party I had, but I felt is was a little light on the hops personally.

I've got this Octane IPA coming in the mail, so I'm hoping it'll be good. I plan on adding the oak chips to the secondary so we'll see how it tastes.

rdwj said:
I did it. It was a big hit at a party I had, but I felt is was a little light on the hops personally.

Any recommendations on what hops to add to make it bolder?:mug:

Dry Hopping with the aroma hops (1 - 2 oz) helped out. Also, make sure you do not serve it too cold. You want to serve at around 45 degrees. If you go colder than that you lose the effects of the hops (IMHO).

Cheers

I bottled my octane IPA almost a week ago. Here are my thoughts: I substituted the boil hops, I think Cascade 5% AA, for Amarillo hops 8.2% AA. Then tasting the hydro samples it taste great but IMO is may be half of the 72 IBU’s claimed. I also dry hopped with an ounce of cascade and changed the classification to dry-hopped ale. All that aside I though it tasted good from the hydro samples.

Hmm I have a few IPA's I picked up for Midwest recently and this is one of them. I'll have to see what Yeast I have in the fridge, but sounds like I need to make this one soon based off the posts.

I have also brewed the IIPA from Midwest both extract and now AG. Both turned out very good. I will probably venture out to another recipe next time just for sh*#$ and giggles. Not because of the recipe.

I bottled my octane IPA almost a week ago. Here are my thoughts: I substituted the boil hops, I think Cascade 5% AA, for Amarillo hops 8.2% AA. Then tasting the hydro samples it taste great but IMO is may be half of the 72 IBU’s claimed. I also dry hopped with an ounce of cascade and changed the classification to dry-hopped ale. All that aside I though it tasted good from the hydro samples.

Could wait no longer, chilled a test beer 8 days after bottling not expecting a whole lot of carbonation but was pleasantly surprised. Really good carbonation and really good flavor. Although I did a little subbing midwest’s octane IPA turned out very good.

brewing mine tonight.. looks like its' got 4 different hop additions during boil.. I was going to dry hop as someone had mentioned, but I think i'll see how the recipe turns out and tweak on my next try..

how long did this brew sit in the primary fermenter? The instructions are written a little odd. it seems (per the instructions) that you are supposed to go to the secondary after 3 days. Everything I have heard says give the primary a week. This is my first brew.

Art

Rack to the secondary when the gravity is consistent over a period of 3 or 4 days. While much depends on how well your yeast is taken care of and fermentation temp, a week would certainly be the minimum time in the primary.

I've got a batch sitting in the primary since Monday (Friday now). This weekend I'll probably add the oak chips, but I'm debating if I should add them straight to the primary or rack it to secondary first.

i will be bottling tomorrow. i let it sit in the primary for3 weeks and added the oak at 2 weeks. hopefully it turns out good because my chiller sprung leaks so it took like 45 min to cool down :(

I initially brewed this batch because of the high alcohol percentage but ended up liking it more because of the crisp woody smooth flavor. I am trying to convince my brother to brew this batch but when he asked me "what kind of commercial beer does it taste like" I couldn't come up with an answer. Any Suggestions?

I did the Octane IPA kit as one of my first beers. It was awsome and one of my faves. If you have time to get extra hops, id recommend dry hopping too and NOT adding any extra wood chips. I also had a slight problem with it not clearing well, so if you have any whirlflock tabs or bioclear it may help.

Back