for those with vertical stuffers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
i'll be using my vertical stuffer for the first time this weekend. i have a question for those of you who have used this type before.

does the o-ring around the piston need some sort of lube to function well? should i smear some keg lube on there or olive oil or something?

gonna do the 'roasted poblano sausage' from charcuterie on saturday, super pumped!

roasted poblano sausage from Charcuterie = best i've ever had, holy ****.

oh yeah, and vertical stuffers rock house.

One thing to be aware of if you are using the type of vertical, hand cranked stuffer sold by The Sausage Maker, Grizzly (for considerably less money), Butcher & Packer, etc. (sometimes credited as an OMCAN stuffer), be careful when raising the piston back up. When it gets to the top, STOP. Do not over crank or you will break a tooth off one of the gears. I've replaced gears twice now and have learned to keep a spare handy.

One thing to be aware of if you are using the type of vertical, hand cranked stuffer sold by The Sausage Maker, Grizzly (for considerably less money), Butcher & Packer, etc. (sometimes credited as an OMCAN stuffer), be careful when raising the piston back up. When it gets to the top, STOP. Do not over crank or you will break a tooth off one of the gears. I've replaced gears twice now and have learned to keep a spare handy.

yes, i just bring it up until the piston barely clears the top of the canister, then slide the canister out from under it to get the piston off for cleaning or reloading, etc. thanks for the advice.

Be carefully when pushing it down too. That is where most people have the problem because they can't see it.

Back