Decoction and scorching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer Gerard

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of trying to make equipment that is capable of performing decoction mashes. Just wondering if any of you guys know about the possibilities of scorching the grain when you pull a decoction into an electric keggle.

My intention was wrap the two elements I intend to use in an aluminium mesh to prevent grain from sticking to them. Is this necessary?

I've been worried about burning so I'm really curious if this will work. I've only done one decoction since going electric and I used my electric stove top. Unfortunately it didn't give me the nice deep color and flavor that I wanted. Next time I'll dust off the old propane burner and do it on that.

I've been worried about burning so I'm really curious if this will work. I've only done one decoction since going electric and I used my electric stove top. Unfortunately it didn't give me the nice deep color and flavor that I wanted. Next time I'll dust off the old propane burner and do it on that.

The recipe that actually got me interested in performing a decoction mash was posted by KingBrianI who incidentally uses propane for heating his decoctions also. Thats why i came here to see did anybody have experience of going electric on decoction mashes

Latest posts

Back