Lesson Learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBrew

Reaction score
So, My first brew was an imperial nut brown. The brewing went well and it happily fermented away until it started blowing out the airlock. So I attached a blowoff tube to my 3 piece until activity subsided. When I went to remove the tube from the airlock, well, it didn't want off. So after trying to heat it up and wrestling with the tube I broke my airlock and cut up my hand. I guess I'm willing to bleed for a good beer

next time I won't put the tube on so tightly!

next time warm tap water with star san in a squirt bottle. Squirt where the tubing meets the airlock....wait.....wait ......wait....squirt a little more then twist whilst pulling. Should do the trick.

I broke an airlock the same way.

Next time just leave the tube on there and you'll have a blow off tube ready to go when you need it. Airlocks and hose are cheap.

Ya I did try loosening it with pretty much scalding hot water--still didn't give. Fortunately the way it broke I still think it's usable as a blowoff. It only broke around the base of te cup.

Back