Making some traditional Muscadino (planning stage)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starderup

Reaction score
Around my office, in the woods right off the parking lot, are a lot of big, purple grapes. I did a little research, and it turns out they are Muscadinos. I have only brewed beer in the past, but after seeing many pounds of these grapes fall to the ground and rot, I am toying with the idea of coming here on a weekend and picking a bunch.
I just read through a page or two of the Massachusetts group buy, and saw there that you need 3 lugs to make five gallons. I think I could pick that much easy, mainly because these guys are huge.
What would be really cool is to just crush these, and put them in a bucket and let them ferment with wild yeast. The cost would be zero, and if it worked like a friend of mine did with pomegranates, I would be charged up. :ban:
Your opinions?

Since the cost is almost nothing, you have nothing to lose, but a little bit of your time. You already have all the equipment except a corker. You won't need any bottles or corks for a year.

Also, winemaking is a lot less time consuming than making beer. Yeah, for the first week or so, you will have to push down the grapes a few times a day, but after that it is 99% patience and a little bit of sampling, racking, & oaking.

Back