Winter Warmer w/ pumpkin, spices & trappist yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBeerBaron

Reaction score
Here was my brew day last weekend. Not really sure what to call it...Pumpkin Ale, Winter Warmer Pumpkin Ale, Pumpkin Double, Belgian-Style Winter Warmer Pumpkin Spice Double???

3.3lbs Briess Light LME (one can)
3lbs Light DME
.5lb Carapils
.5lb Crystal 40L
.5lb Wheat malt
1 ounce Cascade
1 ounce Saaz
3 cans all natural pumpkin (29oz each)
.5oz pumpkin spice (put inside empty tea bag)
1 3 inch cinnamon stick
1 tsp irish moss
white labs trappist ale yeast

soaked grain 155 degrees 30 minutes, removed grains
added extract while bring up to boil
established good boil, added 1oz cascade and 1 can pumpkin for 60 min
after 35 minutes added 1oz Saaz and another can pumpkin
at knockout added third can pumpkin, cinnamon stick, and pumpkin spice
I let it sit in an ice bath for an hour until cool
poured through a colander to remove hop excess, cinnamon stick and spices
pitched yeast put in basement to ferment at 65 degrees.

when I added the pumpkin to the wort I dumped it into a coarse grain bag in order to remove after the brewing session hoping to avoid excess trub.

I placed the pumpkin spice inside of a tea bag I empties out. I hear spice that remain in beer can get too strong so I wanted to be able to remove it before I pitched yeast.

I hope the pumpkin and spice come through...

I wonder how the trappist yeast will taste with this combination?

What do you guys think?

Hmm...I'll be interested to hear how this turns out. I'm not sure that estery finish from the Trappist yeast will go well with the spiced beer, but who knows? Keep us updated.

This beer is either too young (kegged for 3 weeks) or got infected. Right now it tastes like bandaids. It would have (and still may) turn out nice. It has a great trappist yeast flavor with a hint of pumpkin. next time im baking the pumpkin to sanitize and more spice!

I had a batch go 'bandaid' on me once... I was using bleach as a santizer back then, and heard that bleach residue can cause that. I now use Sani-Clean.

My batch never recovered form the bandaid taste... I hope your's fares better. Might just be a young clovey flavor from the Trappist yeast ... worth waiting a few months to see it if clears out!

--lexuschris

Back