Should I test?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petergriffen

Reaction score
So this is my first brew. It is a hoppy pale ale. I have had it fermenting for 10 days now. Should I check the gravity now to make sure it has stopped moving?
Also all I have is a few packes of cbrite, so to clean my turkey baster to check the gravity can I make up a pot of cleaner and then leave it in the bucket for a week or two not to waste?

A) welcome
B) I would recommend getting something like this, test jar, so you don't waste so much just to test. If you are talking about saving the cleaning solution, i would think leaving it in an open pot for an extended period of time would make it unsanitary but Im not sure. I wouldn't do it.

If you really want to keep the solution, maybe get a spray bottle and keep it in there? Anyone on here do that?

If the krausen has dropped into solution and there is no visible sign of fermentation, you can check the gravity. I usually wait until one week after the krausen has dropped before starting specific gravity checks. One thing to always keep in mind, your only real indicator of fermentation progress is a specific gravity reading. Airlock activity, krausen, etc. are not reliable indicators of progress.

Search the HBT forum for Patience and Bottle Conditioning and Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show visible signs. Both of these threads provided a invaluable insight into the brewing process.

Is CBrite a sanitizer? For cleaning my turkey baster, I soak it in oxyclean and then sanitize it in an Iodophor solution before taking a sample. Without knowing what type of cleaner CBrite is, I can't tell if you can reuse/store the cleaning solution.

Check the gravity and set the sample next to your fermenter. Check the sample in 3 days, if the gravity has changed, you'll need another sample.

Okay so I tested it. I started at 1.061 and now 10 days later I am at 1.012. I will check for the next few days. And I boiled my baster for a while hopefully that was good enough. Maybe bottle this weekend?

definitely check it again, but i would bet that you're probably done... i'm sure the turkey baster won't be a problem and if you're next reading is the same, you'll likely be OK to bottle this weekend. enjoy!

if your gravity has stayed the same for a few days then it should be safe to bottle.....but you may want to let it rest in the fermenter to let the yeast relax, clean up after themselves, basically let the beer clear a bit more.(like another week or two) I know the waiting is likely killing you, but it WILL be worth it, then bottle it up and enjoy 1 bottle each week for the first three weeks so you can see how the beer matures as it conditions. then once you have waited the 3 weeks you can start enjoying your brew. when you pop the last bottle you will see that the last one really does taste the best, and thus the rewards of waiting! as good as this batch will probably taste, your next one will be better!

when you say check the gravity 3 days in a row -- does that mean take 3 separate samples, or test the gravity of one sample, 3 times?

thanks!

when you say check the gravity 3 days in a row -- does that mean take 3 separate samples, or test the gravity of one sample, 3 times?

thanks!

I use a thing called the Thief. It allows me to take a sample, test the gravity, then drain into a small glass to taste.

I only test the gravity twice, a few days apart. If it changes, then I'll test again in another few days, until there are no changes.

Okay so a quick question. Where the beer is now at around 68 degrees in a tub of water with a fish heater. If say it was done fermenting and I let it sit at 50 degrees for a week would that hurt? Also once bottled they also need to be kept around 70? The room is 50 and I didnt want to heat it just for this being the reason it's in the water.

I'd leave it just the way you have it. Once it's bottled, you should keep it at fermentation temp to allow the remaining yeast to carbonate it.

Also, it won't hurt to leave it in the fermenter for another couple weeks. In fact, it would be better for it. I know, waiting is the hard part, but good things come to those who wait.

check 3 different samples. Don't keep checking the same one. Definately be patient. My 1st batch, I rushed and made many, many mistakes. My second batch, I was much more patient and methodical and it turned out MUCH better. I read somewhere on here where people recomend the '1,2,3 rule'. Let it primary ferment for 1 week, secondary ferment for 2 weeks, then age in bottles for 3 weeks. I'll admit, I only waited about 10 days after bottling to dig in and will probably have the batch finished by the 3 week mark. I gotta work on that.....

Best of luck to you.

It's good (called cold crashing) to keep the fermenter cold before racking to the bottling bucket. Helps clear the beer. I'd leave it at room temp for another week to 2 weeks before doing this though. The yeast still do a lot after the main fermentation to improve the beer. Then you'll want fermenting temps for the first 3-4 weeks after bottling. it's basically a mini fermentation that takes place to carbonate the beer. Then toss a couple in the fridge for a day or to chill and let the yeast settle (I always let mine chill for 3 days min. before opening) and drink up. Hope you got the second batch planned. This one goes fast.

My general schedule
Ferment 60-68 for 1 month, cold crash with gelatin for 3 days, rack to keg. Let carb for 1-2 weeks and start drinking. That give me good 6-7 week old beer before it gets drank. Plenty of time for it to come to it's best.

Back