Phat tire yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Okay I'm sure this has been talked to death but what available yeast is closest to the one New Belgium uses. To me it tastes way more neutral than any Belgian strain I've ever tasted. To me NB taste like it is fermented with a slightly fruity british ale yeast fermented on the cold side to reduce yeast flavor.

Any ideas?
Alan

Wyeast 1056 is what i use.

So its really not a Belgian per se. I seem to recall reading that they claimed to use a Belgian strain but like I said before, I've never tasted a Belgian that tastes that clean before. Of course I haven't tried them all. Just curious.

Regards,
Alan

Okay, I'll admit I was lazy! I should have done a search to begin with. The guy from AHS said in a post that the head brewer at NB said it was not a Belgian strain. Well my palate told me that when i drank it but his post confirmed it.

Regards,
Alan

I used K-97 in my clone, had many homebrewers who tasted it compliment the choice. It's a bit more estery than what New Belgium uses, but I like it.

Okay I'm sure this has been talked to death but what available yeast is closest to the one New Belgium uses. To me it tastes way more neutral than any Belgian strain I've ever tasted. To me NB taste like it is fermented with a slightly fruity british ale yeast fermented on the cold side to reduce yeast flavor.

Any ideas?
Alan

Yea, it's definitely not a Belgian strain, which is one of the reasons I am not too fond of their beers. My guess is it's probably a mutation of 1056.

Incidentally, years ago when we couldn't get Fat Tire here in Illinois, I found a clone recipe and brewed it up. I used abbey ale yeast. Turned out great! A very nice Belgian pale ale. When I did finally taste the real Fat Tire I was very disappointed and remember thinking "my version is way better".

Michael
BJCP Certified

It's been a while since I had Fat Tire since it's not sold in this area, but what I had in Ft. Collins was pretty damn tasty. Nothing mindblowing, but a very nice everyday beer.

I am not sure I would use 1056 when brewing this beer. The Alt yeast K-97 is an interesting choice that sounds like it might work well. I'd probably use 1272 on my first attempt.

I used Wyeast 1214

I used this on what was supposed to be a Dubbel but it turned out to be a strong golden ale which I'm not crazy about. I really do not like chimay which is what 1214 is if I'm not mistaken. You might have wound up w/ a good Belgian w/ that yeast but nothing like NB Phat Tire.

Regards,
Alan

I heard Peter Bouckaert (New Belgium's brewmaster) speak and he said that Fat Tire is not a Belgian strain. He also said La Folie came from an infected keg of Fat Tire.

I used 1056 in my Fat Tire clone. I love fat tire, but after having brewed my own, I like mine better. Fat Tire itself lacks the complexity of most of the clone recipes I have seen for it. That said, use a clean yeast and ferment in the mid 60s and I think you'll come out the same as Fat Tire on esters and phenolics (i.e. none).

I've made the Fat Tire recipe out of Clone Brews and thought it was much better than commercial stuff. Then again, I live outside their distribution area so when I *was* able to get it, it may not have been very fresh.

First time I used the Wyeast VSS strain and it turned out excellent. Unfortunately, all of the cultures I saved from that were dead. The most recent batch used White Labs 530, and I just kegged it up the other day. We'll see how that turns out. That may not be the best yeast out there, but I needed the cake. It fermented at 72 F and in two weeks it went from 1.050 to 1.012, which was more-attenuated than the first batch (1.017, IIRC).

Back