Does anyone use the cheap, red digital thermometer from Walmart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ark1ebs

Reaction score
I picked one up for about $14 or so a few batches back. I had 100% faith in the reading until I did the 32F test in ice water. My reading then was 38F.

Has anyone been able to calibrate these models? I didn't see any type of dial, or anything else that would lead me to believe they can be.

I've noticed these exact thermometers in several pictures on the board, thought I'd get your feedback.

I'd hate to be several degrees off when I "think" I'm nailing my mash temperature. :mad:

Those nine year old girls in Malaysia make a pretty good pair of jeans but they haven't quite got the hang of electronics. The next thing I buy at Walmart will be the first. :mug:

Yes I have one. No I haven't calibrated it. I am going to check it at 32F tomorrow, but it is right on at 212F. I have another one from a different source that my wife got for Christmas last year. It is off by 5F with no calibration.

I've been using one as well, and even if it's really that bad, it's still an upgrade... what does that tell you?!

I'll have to try this ice water calibration bit...

In any event, it seems to be pretty close with boiling... can't be more than a few off.

for beer brewing the high temp is more important to be accurate. seems to me anyway that i would rather be right on at 150 and off at freezing than the other way around.

I have one. Its within a degree of my other 2 regular thermometers around mash temps (between 140-160) so its close enough for me. Haven't had any problems with it yet.

Also, just FYI. If you happen to somehow manage to drop it in a wok full of oil, if you take it apart and let it dry out it amazingly still works. Don't ask me how i know:eek:

I've gone through 3 of those POS things. The first one worked well for over a year the last 2 were total junk. I only got the probe wet (hehehehe) and they were both off, reading over 150F sitting idle in my garage about 5 minutes after I opened them.

I picked up a different brand somewhere else. So far so good.

I have a beige digital thermometer from Wally World. It is about a degree off, from what I can tell.

I also have one of their digital kitchen scales. I compared it to a postal scale, and it weighed the same (resolution on both was 1 gram).

Those nine year old girls in Malaysia make a pretty good pair of jeans but they haven't quite got the hang of electronics. The next thing I buy at Walmart will be the first. :mug:

Walmart sells nine year old Malaysian girls?

I picked one up for about $14 or so a few batches back. I had 100% faith in the reading until I did the 32F test in ice water. My reading then was 38F.

Has anyone been able to calibrate these models? I didn't see any type of dial, or anything else that would lead me to believe they can be.

I've noticed these exact thermometers in several pictures on the board, thought I'd get your feedback.

I'd hate to be several degrees off when I "think" I'm nailing my mash temperature. :mad:

just my 2c, but in my experience it's pretty hard to get an ice/water mixture at 32F. The only method I know that works is to grind up some ice and wait for some of it to melt. Otherwise, your mixture will likely be several degrees too warm.

just my 2c, but in my experience it's pretty hard to get an ice/water mixture at 32F. The only method I know that works is to grind up some ice and wait for some of it to melt. Otherwise, your mixture will likely be several degrees too warm.

I read somewhere to fill a cup full of ice, put it in the fridge, wait a few hours for it to melt a bit and then check.

I usually crush the ice in a glass, add a shot of tequila, OJ, a drop of grenadine.....

Taylor digital temperature probe/timer. I drop the probe in the mash and start the timer. I wander by occasionally to monitor temp and see how much time I have left. Temp alarm in both directions. Whether it is rising or dropping it will sound at the designated temp.

$27.99 at sears.

Mash, BBQ, roast chicken, bread. It's a multi tasker.

I read somewhere to fill a cup full of ice, put it in the fridge, wait a few hours for it to melt a bit and then check.

That would certainly work, but melting some at room temperature seems to be ok too. If you start with some water with the ice, though, it will take a long time (if at all) before you hit equilibrium (which is the condition you need).

When my old trusty digital packed up (after several years) I tried to get a new one at Target. I bought one, but it wouldn't switch on. Not very useful, so I changed it for another one. I had to hit the on/off button about 10 times to switch it on or off. Still no good, so I changed for a third one. On the third one, the on/off switch worked, but it was about 5 - 6 degrees off. I gave up, got my money back and got the Pro Accurate Digital Thermometer from Northern Brewer which I am very happy with.

To calibrate at 32F, crushed ice in water is much more predictable than ice cubes.

-a.

I recall doing just this in 8th grade science class. What is the problem with doing so? As long as it is well mixed, the water won't rise above the freezing point until all the ice is melted (theoretically, at least).

With crushed (or ground) ice, you will have a large surface area of ice in contact with the water. This will allow the ice to cool the water much faster than if you use ice cubes (which have a very much smaller surface area). The container will be exposed to room temperature air, and some of that higher temperature will warm the water above freezing point. Putting the container in the fridge for a long time would minimize the effect as well, but crushed ice mixed with water just works so much faster.

-a.

I recall doing just this in 8th grade science class. What is the problem with doing so? As long as it is well mixed, the water won't rise above the freezing point until all the ice is melted (theoretically, at least).

The water isn't at 32F to start with, and it has to cool down, which will take quite a while. If you start with ice, the water that results from it melting will be at 32F to begin with.

I've gone through 3 of those POS things. The first one worked well for over a year the last 2 were total junk. I only got the probe wet (hehehehe) and they were both off, reading over 150F sitting idle in my garage about 5 minutes after I opened them.

I picked up a different brand somewhere else. So far so good.

Yep, I got one and the probe got too wet, died in the middle of my first batch (reads over 250deg at room temp). Had to run to the store and by another thermometer. I got the white digital instant read that was a few bucks cheaper. I trust it a whole lot more (and it can be calibrated). No alarm though.

Latest posts

Back