Pectic enzyme late in the game?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAC762

Reaction score
I have a batch of apfelwein that isn't clearing. I had a brain fart when making it and decided to boil 3 quarts of AJ and desolve the sugar in that. Recipe is:
-~5.75 gallons AJ
-1/2 tsp fermaid k
-2 lbs cane sugar
-Must poured onto a fresh yeast cake of cote des blanc

I've used the recipe several times before and after and it usually clears 4-6 weeks after pitching. This batch is over 10 weeks old and still hasn't cleared. I have batches of the exact same recipemade after this that have already cleared.

I think the reason it's not clearing is due to my boiling 3 quats of the must. I've read that pectic enzyme can help for situations like this, but is it of any help this late in the ferment? (current gravity is 1.002... where this recipe has previously finished)

I have no problem drinking hazy apfelwein, but I also don't mind waiting if I can do something to clear it up.

Thanks,
PAC

It will help in a normal situation. Even late. But this is not normal. You boiled it and set the pectic enzymes. I do not think it will help in this situation but if you want to try use 1 teaspoon of the dry per gallon and let it sit for at least 2 months.

pectic enzyme will work at any point, Ive used it in batches with set pectin 6 months after fermentation it only took about a week to change from cloudy to crystal clear.

pectic enzyme will work at any point, Ive used it in batches with set pectin 6 months after fermentation it only took about a week to change from cloudy to crystal clear.

Cool. Should I rack or stir when I add it, or just dump it into the carboy and let it mix on it's own?

I just dumped in about 1 tsp for 5 gallons but if you have the patience to let whatever yeast you stir up resettle, a quick swirl might make the enzyme work a little faster.

Back