Copper Hardware issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Getting the parts together to make an all copper CFC..

The basic jist of it's construction is a 'flat' back and forth arrangement of straight sections of 1/2 copper tube, encased in straight sections of 3/4" copper tubing...

At each end of each leg, there is to be a 3/4"x1/2"x1/2" tee..

The 1/2" is to slide 'through' the 1/2" and 3/4" sweat collars that are on opposite ends of the tee..

I just noticed that the tees I bought have 'stops' on the half inch sweat fitting that I need to slide the 1/2 inch tubing 'through'..

So, I know that some of you have done similar fabrications where you slide a 1/2" copper tube all the way through these fittings...

So my question is, did you have to drill out these sweat fittings to remove the stop, or did you find tees that did not have the stop integrated into the fitting?

If you removed the stop, how did you do it? And if you found fittings without stops, where did you get them?

Gracias...
:mug:

I don't remember if I drilled them out or filed them. Probably both. Since I don't remember it probably wasn't a big deal.

I drilled mine out using a 5/8" bit. Unfortunately, a 5/8" bit can be a little on the pricey side. It's unlikely you will be able to find a slip type tee. The slip type repair couplings are fairly easy to come by, but not most other fittings. You could probably use a Dremel with a grindstone bit or even a rat tail file to remove the "stop".

Let us know how your chiller design works out. I think it is a good idea, but you could probably save some change by using CPVC for the outer 3/4" pipe in lieu of the copper pipe.

I drilled them out in my drill press..

I guess this is what I'm looking at.. I'll make a little holding jig out of fir and drill them out... PITA

I called my wholesaler, and theirs have stops too and they don't know where to get them without... So drill it is...

Thanks,
:mug:

Well, today I got the majority of the rest of what I need to build this beast... So now I first have to build a jig for drilling these fittings out on my drill press (16 of them),, then I bring the PMBS inside again to do layout and start building....

I am at peace with the idea now that I realize that if it isn't as efficient as I hope, then I can always add a plate chiller in line, and/or use my existing IC as a pre chiller for the water...

So I'll chronicle the whole thing in my PMBS build thread once I get rolling....

Oh, and I have about $175 invested so far, not counting the 8' of 3/4" Type L copper tube I scavenged from my scrap pile... (in addition to the 20' I bought.. and the 40 foot of 1/2"... all type M)

I made a CFC out of extra 3/4 hose which is great because it has a beed alway through for turbulence. 3/8" copper tupe through it. For me it was about using what I had, and savinf coin for stainless fittings. Sounds like what you have will work and will look nice.

Look forward to seeing the final product.

Back