Good Price for a Summit Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damonic

Reaction score
Don't know if this is in the correct area or not. Mods please move if the latter.

I ran across a deal for a Summit kegerator. 6 months old, barely used, protective plastic still on in some places. Black with SS door and comes with a 5lb CO2 bottle. I have a chest freezer waiting to be converted but I figure just buying the Summit is the fastest way for me to tap a keg.

I don't want to offend the guy but I'm in sales so haggling is in my nature I guess. :p What would be a good price to pick on of these up for? $300, $200, $150??? :confused:

Something like this?

If so, it's around $625 new, so I'd start by maybe subtracting 25% for it being lightly used...$468? 25% might be more of a discount than you're entitled to, but hey, you gotta lowball a little to give yourself somewhere to go with these things.:mug:
ConnecticutKyle.jpg

Actually the top isn't SS, the front of the door is. Sounds like I'm thinking WAY low on this huh?

You've basically got to think of two numbers.

What's it worth? That'll be the $850 new price, less a discount for it being used, so it's probably worth $550 - $650 to someone.

What's it worth to YOU? You already own the freezer, which is usually the most expensive piece. Add up how much to buy a CO2 tank, faucets, a tower, temp controller, etc. - basically, everything that you'd have to buy to make a kegerator that's pretty much functionally equivalent to what you'd be buying. Maybe that's $300 or $400. Now, add back in a figure to reflect how much having a spare freezer (if you buy the Summit) would be worth to you.

Now, you've got to think about how much your time is worth - how much would you pay to just have it done. $100?

This is all going to lead you to a figure that's really what the Summit is worth to YOU. It might be worth $600 to SOMEONE, but if you can build your own for another $300, and you don't mind putting in the time to do it, it wouldn't make sense for you to pay that much (or even $500, or maybe even $400). He might sell it at a good price, but it still needs to be a good price for YOU.

Well put. I'm a total DIY'er but right now I have negative time. House on the market and baby on the way so the path of least resistance and fastest way for me to pull a pint will be to just buy a Summit.

The chest freezer was a freebie and I already have a spare fridge and freezer in the garage. So that one WILL become a keezer at some point... when I have time to convert it. At that point I could probably sell the Summit to one of my brewing buddies for what I buy it for. Hadn't thought of that until now! :D

:mad:

So the seller has been REALLY difficult to communicate with and yesterday he told me to come by and he'd work around my schedule. I drive over an hour to him at lunch and he tells me he sold it to a guy last night. WTF?! I was pissed and should have known better.

The guy felt so bad he gave me two handles of Johhnie Walker Red in return. Guess that makes up for my gas getting there and back, right?

Regardless, I'm interpreting this as divine intervention and God really wants me to convert that freezer. So I'll be putting that cash towards an conversion kit. Now to start trolling for good suppliers...

Latest posts

Back