New Home Owners!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustDave

Reaction score
SWMBO and I have been looking at houses for a while. After what seemed like endless weekends of open houses and private showings with our agent, we put an offer on a house this morning, and a few hours later (after a slight counteroffer) they accepted.

It's got everything we wanted, but we're most excited about the big fenced-in backyard. Now the dogs can run around like the goofballs they are!

It still has to pass the home inspection, etc., but we're psyched!

Just make sure you can pay or it!!!!!!!!!! HeHeHe. I dont want to be paying for another person who cant afford there mortgage payment.

Wade E said:
Just make sure you can pay or it!!!!!!!!!! HeHeHe. I dont want to be paying for another person who cant afford there mortgage payment.
ha!

Believe me, that's why we waited so long. :) To get all of our financial ducks in a row, so to speak.

Is this your first home? If so, just wait until next year and you see the effect of your tax credit.

Your return will be much higher and you be getting credit card apps once a week.

Welcome to home ownership!!!

:mug:

Schlenkerla said:
Is this your first home? If so, just wait until next year and you see the effect of your tax credit.

Your return will be much higher and you be getting credit card apps once a week.

Welcome to home ownership!!!
Thanks!

Yep, we're first-time buyers (and newlyweds) -- we're both very excited for the future.

This is a good agency to use. Many inspectors know where their bread is buttered so they don't want to loose the work being sent to them by real estate agents with a bad inspection report.

I used this company. They are working on your behalf. They don't give a rats ass if the house needs major work, if this is the case you will know. There is no negative impact to their repeat business for a bad report.

Its your perogative to hire them over "their guy".

http://www.amerispec.com/

On my last house this place found the electrical in need of work. The main line coming into the house had a cracked housing. 90% of the outlets had the polarity wired backwards. The furnace had CO leaks and did not have the duct work to code. He also found two plumbing leaks. He stated that roof would need to replaced within 5-6 years.

The owner fixed everything, then all was good.

Thanks everyone for their support and congrats.

For my Massachusetts peeps, the house is in Taunton (very close to the Lakeville line).

I hope its a 20,000 sqft castle costing you 3 jobs to make the minimums on your ARM.

Awesome for you- Ive been a house "owner" for 3 years now. Never thought I would find something more expensive than the wife.

DaveyBoy said:
SWMBO and I have been looking at houses for a while. After what seemed like endless weekends of open houses and private showings with our agent, we put an offer on a house this morning, and a few hours later (after a slight counteroffer) they accepted.

It's got everything we wanted, but we're most excited about the big fenced-in backyard. Now the dogs can run around like the goofballs they are!

It still has to pass the home inspection, etc., but we're psyched!
Congratulations! I am at the same stage as you are. The thing is in attorney review. This is a great time to buy. Low interest rates, and low prices. I expect that interest rates will be rising soon and next year home prices will begin climbing up.

Congrats to you and yours!!!

Get the camera ready and takes lots of pics when you take over ownership...especially when you "release the hounds" into the backyard. Capture their joy on the first day and you'll have the memory forever. Also good to have "before" pics, so you can look back at all the improvements you'll do in years to come.

AND expect some sleepless "my-God-what-have-we-done" moments when you feel the weight of financial responsibility. This, too, shall pass. We all felt it with our first home, but you mention how careful you've been with this decision, so chase those doubts away and enjoy yerselves!!!

Oh, and did I say CONGRATS?!!!
clap.gif

There is nothing like the feeling you have the first time you recline in the back yard with a beer and realize that the grass under your feet is yours and not some landlord's.

(yah-- you owe money on it but it's YOURS)

My SWMBO and I also just bought a house. San Antonio, TX. The inspection is getting done this week, and we are scheduled to close in 3 weeks. I am super-pumped, like you and yours. We, too, acquired a spacious backyard for the pups. Got a heck of a deal, compared to the comp houses in the neighborhood. Congrats, and Cheers!

We just closed last week on our's. Waiting on the new carpet before we can move the furniture in. I started 5 gallons of Ed Worts Apfelwein in the basement first thing. I'm gonna have one helluva brewshop:ban:

Congrats! :mug:

We're closing on our new house on Friday. Half of our apartment is already packed, and we're eating fast food all week!

My dread of the physical labor involved in the move is mitigated by the fact that I'll be doing my first all-grain the second weekend after we move in. SWMBO has greenlighted certain key purchases (propane burner which was never allowed in the apartments, coolers, and IC).

Also looking forward to cutting grass again. Will be nice to get my Man License renewed!

Congrats

In October I moved from our 1st house into the 2nd - and just yesterday I brewed for the 1st time (at this location). Looking at my brewlog, the last time I brewed was 8/12/2007!!!!Felt good to get all the brew gear out and situated. The basement of this house is actually smaller than the last, due to the fact that most of the basement is garage. I actually lost brewing space, the one downside to our "new" house.

Back