Metal taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangj

Reaction score
I kegged a beer on Sunday and today I wanted to check the carbonation.
The beer is not ready yet but it had the taste of the keg.

Is the taste due to low carbonation?

nope. beer shouldn't have a metallic flavor unless there's something off.

did you inspect the inside of your keg to make sure the SS finish is still intact? If someone soaked bleach inside, it will pit the metal and ruin the finish.. you'd have to re-pasify/passivate (?) the metal to keep it in good shape.

The keg was cleaned with oxyclean and sanitized with Sanstar.I had the Sanstar in the keg for two days.

malkore said:
nope. beer shouldn't have a metallic flavor unless there's something off.

did you inspect the inside of your keg to make sure the SS finish is still intact? If someone soaked bleach inside, it will pit the metal and ruin the finish.. you'd have to re-pasify/passivate (?) the metal to keep it in good shape.

What am I looing for and how would you re-pasify/passivate?

do some googling for 'pitted metal' to see the effects.

others can help with re-pacifying the metal, its not a real big chore.

I once had a batch of beer that tasted exactly like you describe after about 2 weeks in the keg. It tasted so bad, I seriously thought of ditching it, but as I had another couple of kegs of good tasting beer, I just left it in the keg.
5 weeks later, the metallic taste had completely gone.

-a.

Mustangj said:
I kegged a beer on Sunday and today I wanted to check the carbonation.
The beer is not ready yet but it had the taste of the keg.

Is the taste due to low carbonation?

The metal taste can often be attributed to poor storage of hops and/or grains or green beer. A buddy of mine is experiencing this same thing with two batches of beer.

srm775 said:
The metal taste can often be attributed to poor storage of hops and/or grains or green beer. A buddy of mine is experiencing this same thing with two batches of beer.

It tasted great before I kegged it.

ajf said:
I once had a batch of beer that tasted exactly like you describe after about 2 weeks in the keg. It tasted so bad, I seriously thought of ditching it, but as I had another couple of kegs of good tasting beer, I just left it in the keg.
5 weeks later, the metallic taste had completely gone.

-a.

Just try some and the metal taste is gone. I think the hops just needed some time.

I was just about to dump my keg of IPA when I decided to do a search. Thanks I think I will let it set for a few weeks.

Did you let it sit out at fermentation temp, or in your kegerator? I'm trying to decide what to do with a 10g batch I brewed a couple weeks ago. I tested it today and it was at 1.013 (which is close to where it should be from my recipe), but it has a spicy smell, and metallic aftertaste (it tastes OK for a few seconds but then the metallic flavor comes through).

I tried a few new things on this last batch that could be the factor; I used to lug 1g jugs of filtered from my sink to the kettle, but this time I used a filter setup that I put on the hose and ran into the kettle directly (exactly like this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-filter-setup-29145/), I roasted my own crystal malt from pale malt (using instructions from here http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/), and I tried "hopbursting" with 2oz. of Magnum hops at 20 min, 1.5oz. of cascade at 15 min, and 1.5oz. at 5 min. I've never used Magnum hops before either, but I was using them to get my IBU's up on while using the hopbursting technique.

I know it was silly of me to do so many different things all in one brew. Not too smartl. Now I'm going in circles; is it the water? Is it the hops? Is it an infection?

What can I do to fix it? I'm going to keg it, and throw it in the kegerator to chill out for a few weeks and hopefully it'll mellow out. If that doesn't work I might try this EDTA stuff.

I can't remember what temp the beer was at. The beer did have Magnum in it.

Just let it sit for a month or two!

RDWHAHB!:mug:

I may have just figured it out. Let me know what you think.

I just went out to test the flavor of the water coming out of my hose & filter and so before I did I decided to check the filter element inside my filter deally to see how much sediment was filtered out. It was then that I realized that I'm dealing with an extremely rare case of early onset Alzheimers; I had forgotten to put the filter element in before I brewed. I was basically just running straight hose water, and our water isn't the best here. I put the filter in and ran the water through it for a couple minutes and then took a look and saw a fine coating of sediment all over the filter. :(

I have this batch in the keg in my kegerator. Should I leave it and see what happens, or just toss it and brew again?

Did you let it sit out at fermentation temp, or in your kegerator? I'm trying to decide what to do with a 10g batch I brewed a couple weeks ago. I tested it today and it was at 1.013 (which is close to where it should be from my recipe), but it has a spicy smell, and metallic aftertaste (it tastes OK for a few seconds but then the metallic flavor comes through).

I tried a few new things on this last batch that could be the factor; I used to lug 1g jugs of filtered from my sink to the kettle, but this time I used a filter setup that I put on the hose and ran into the kettle directly (exactly like this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-filter-setup-29145/), I roasted my own crystal malt from pale malt (using instructions from here http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/), and I tried "hopbursting" with 2oz. of Magnum hops at 20 min, 1.5oz. of cascade at 15 min, and 1.5oz. at 5 min. I've never used Magnum hops before either, but I was using them to get my IBU's up on while using the hopbursting technique.

I know it was silly of me to do so many different things all in one brew. Not too smartl. Now I'm going in circles; is it the water? Is it the hops? Is it an infection?

What can I do to fix it? I'm going to keg it, and throw it in the kegerator to chill out for a few weeks and hopefully it'll mellow out. If that doesn't work I might try this EDTA stuff.

UPDATE: After a week of sitting in my kegerator the flavor is already starting to diminish. I'm hopeful that after another 3-4 weeks this will end up being a good batch.

Thanks for the tips!

I think you may also want to get an RV water supply hose (same fittings as a garden hose) garden hoses can leech lead and other unpleasant things into the water and hence, your beer.

I often notice this metallic type taste to a beer that has just been freshly burst carbonated at say 30psi for a couple days. I have noticed it even with commercials kegs that I have had to add carbonation to. It always fades within a couple days to with no lingering taste problems. Your problem sounds very similar to what I have experienced.

Latest posts

Back