American Wheat or Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I am looking to make my first brew this friday but because of time restrictions I wont be able to order and ingredient kit off the internet and since my LHBS has VERY few decent kits I am just looking to get a recipe and buy everything indivually.

So I am looking to see if anyone has any recipes for either an American Wheat or a Golden Ale. I will need it to be fairly simple, since it is my first time, and it will need to be an extract. From what ive read I think I should be able to do specialty grains that just steep at certain temperatures.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

hefeweizen:
6 lbs of Wheat Dry Malt Extract
1 oz of hops (Hallertau, Tettnanger or Saaz)
1 Vial of White Labs Hefeweizen Yeast (WLP300)

cheapest, easiest and one of the tastiest brews. if you want, you could add 1/2 oz of hops at the last 5 minutes of the boil to make it more of an american style. you could also go with a different yeast (this is a german style yeast)

i also steep about 2 lbs of munich with this recipe...it makes it taste really good.

try to keep fermentation below 70, absolutely below 75

have fun! :mug:

My german hefe's with White Labs 300 come out great at about 64F fermentation temp - clovey and very much tasting correct for the style...
Yes, hefe is a great and simple first brew. If you think you want to do an American wheat, it's different yeast and you could probably try to find a "Boulevard Wheat" clone - it's supposed to be one of the better American wheat's.
I brew wheat beers all the time, but only German hefe -- love it. Go buy one before you brew one, though, if you're not familiar -- not everyone likes them.
Good luck w/your first brew -- pretty cool that you'll be able to post on here if any questions arise during your brew session or after!

Brewing a wheat can be more rewarding, especially if you're not familiar with the style. It may sound somewhat self-defeating, but being less familiar with the style may allow you to enjoy the fruits of your labor more and worry about how your brew differs from commercial brews of the same type less.

Back