Pliny The Younger Coming Soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was trying to get a buddy to go with me tomorrow midday, but he's going to be in Reno with his wife. I'm still debating going, though I don't much care to drink alone. Any HBT'rs going in the few days?

I'd have to imagine that the line wouldn't be bad at midday, midweek. I could be wrong though. You'd probably know better than I.

Since you're a local, I'd say it's definitely worth the trip, even by yourself.

I was trying to get a buddy to go with me tomorrow midday, but he's going to be in Reno with his wife. I'm still debating going, though I don't much care to drink alone. Any HBT'rs going in the few days?

I could be persuaded :D
Let me know your plans.
I went again yesterday and got there about 1:15 and it was a tad over 2 hrs. Sure was worth it.

as many as you want.. just can't take any out. But remember the ABV.. or they'll carry you out. :drunk:

The table of 4 next to us actually got cut off at 4 glasses.

We were there Sun night and Mon morning. It was great. PTY was an awesome beer, but for me, RR's sours are the standout. What a great lineup of extreme experimental brews.
Supplication
Sanctification
Consecration.

Consecration is an 1.078 beer dried all the way out to 10% ABV. Amazing.

The table of 4 next to us actually got cut off at 4 glasses.

Our waitress was really nice. She said 3max initially, but as long as you weren't slamming them, eating some food, drinking some water, and taking your time, she would work with us.

I have nothing but great things to say about their entire staff while we were there.

Yah, last week when I went there were def some folks out on the front patio that were totally smashed.. I was surprised they were still serving what with legal responsibilities. When I pour at events, I have to cut people off.. I DON'T want to be in a lawsuit of any kind..

This stuff is 10.8% almost wine ABV's and when you consider 10 oz pours.. sheesh.. smash time.

I was there opening day (3rd in line), and can say the staff is top notch, Anthony behind the bar for sure. I had as many Youngers as they would serve me, which at last count was over 12... I think. We got in at 10:30, and poured ourselves into a cab around 10:00pm. An unbelievable time, planning on making the trip out again next year.

I was able to talk to Vinnie in line, as we'll as in the pub. He told me they brewed about 100 bbl, but didn't yield anywhere close to that, and that certain distributors wouldn't be getting what they've gotten in the past.

Please update your clone thread when you do, very interested in giving this one a try.

Here's the general gist. I'll be cutting the C40 down to 2 or 3%. 0.5oz less Amarillo @ flameout, and here's the dry hop schedule:

DH1: .5oz ea: Simcoe/Amarillo
DH2: 1oz ea: CTZ/Centennial
DH3: .5oz ea Simcoe/Chinook
DH4: 1oz ea Simcoe/Amarillo

My clone last year was dangerously close, I just didn't have any reference at the time. Just a little too much Amarillo/Centennial character. Also a pinch too much C40. There's definitely some C40 in that beer, just not quite 4%.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Now I know how you got your user name :D

I can't wait.. Sooooonnnn. Think I'll go down on my 'secret' day. Hate them looooonnnnnggggg lines.

My clone last year was dangerously close, I just didn't have any reference at the time. Just a little too much Amarillo/Centennial character. Also a pinch too much C40. There's definitely some C40 in that beer, just not quite 4%.

Not sure if you've seen it, but Vinnie wrote an article in the July/Aug 2009 issue of Zymurgy where he lays out some of the details of his hop schedules, etc. He's got a full recipe for the Elder in the article and then describes in reasonable detail some of the changes he made to the Younger. I found the PDF posted here, too. It's an enjoyable read regardless.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

Unfortunately we won't be able to make the trip this year, hopefully next year. I really hope I can find it on tap down here somewhere, but the chances are not great.

Back