Rockwall, Fate, Royse City area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
Re there any home brewers in the Rockwall, Fate, Royse City area that would like to get together? I'm looking for brew club to join, I am new to the brewing scene but, enjoy good beer. If anyone is interested shoot me a message.

I live in Rockwall and brew quite often. I just joined the Rockwall Homebrewers club a couple weeks ago. Nice bunch of guys and I think it will be a good club. did you find anything else in the area yet?

t3e871 said:
I live in Rockwall and brew quite often. I just joined the Rockwall Homebrewers club a couple weeks ago. Nice bunch of guys and I think it will be a good club. did you find anything else in the area yet?

No I have not found any other clubs in the area. I was thinking about the Rockwall Club but, kinda unsure. Are you a grain or extract brewer?

I do all grain, although last winter I did a few extract batches to save some time. I just have it in my head that my all grain batches taste better than extract. Its hard to describe, but I seem to detect a "flavor" in every beer style when I use extract. I have a tripel and a ipa fermenting right now; a esb and the apfel wein on tap.

I have not worked up the courage yet to try all grain. I have an IPA that is finished conditioning and an cream ale fermenting. As soon as that is finished I'm going to brew a saison.
I'm in the process of making a keggel and mash tun. So hopefully I'll be able to start all grain.

I have not worked up the courage yet to try all grain. I have an IPA that is finished conditioning and an cream ale fermenting. As soon as that is finished I'm going to brew a saison.
I'm in the process of making a keggel and mash tun. So hopefully I'll be able to start all grain.

I use a keggle and a 10 gallon water cooler. AG is not hard after you do it a few times. I make it much harder by not having a brew stand and having to drag all of the equipment out of my shed each time. It's like a chinese fire drill and I am exhausted after a brew day; but it gets me some good beer.

You are welcome to come over and assist-brew with me next time and I'll show you my AG methods. I am planning to brew a russian imperial and a pumpkin ale in the next few months.

That would be great! I would really appreciate be able to watch / learn AG. I am reading Designing Great Brews by Ray Daniels, I am really interested in coming up with my own brew.
Do you harvest your own yeast? That is something else I am really interested in.
We should get together sometime for a beer at The Flying Saucer.

Cool, yes I have read that book. I am reading radical brewing right now - it has some interesting recipes. I visit the saucer often! that would be good. I'll PM you my cell #. I am leaving on vacation this saturday for a week, so maybe Friday or after I return. Also, I'm planning on brewing my stout on 24 June. I usually start very early (6-7AM) to beat the heat in my back yard.

I agree... AG batches have tasted better every time for me too. I've made a Stone Ruination IPA clone and a Stout. Both have turned out great! I'm putting together my own 10 gallon mash tun this weekend and using it in a pale ale batch the following weekend. I'm taking pictures/video also. I want to hear for ways to improve and show some peeps how easy it is.

Do you harvest your own yeast? That is something else I am really interested in.

I have a fridge full of mason jars that have several different strains; but they are all several month old now. I saved and washed the yeast from all of my brews last winter. I could probably revive them and step up starters if I wanted to. But I just can't brew often enough to use them. I would like to get into freezing some yeast to keep longer term.

I have been reading on yeast and still can't get my mind wrapped around it. I was looking at beersmith the other day and my saison I'm going to brew next week calls for two yeast packs.
What can I do to get the most out of the yeast I'm using now. I'm going to use a wayeast saison.

Personally I would just pitch one smack pack - if it's fresh.

Beersmith uses a calculation to figure the optimum pitch rate for your batch..you can also look at www.mrmalty.com and use the calculator there. Fresh smack packs and vials have about 100 billion cells. This is perfect for a normal strength, 5 gallon batch. If you are going with higher gravity beer, you'd want to use more yeast.

To get the cell count up you could use a starter. Boil some DME, add a pinch of yeast nutrient, cool and pitch your yeast. Shake it around everytime you walk by for 12-24 hours before brewing - or use a stir plate.

For most all of my beers I make 1 liter or 2 liter starters with 100g DME per 1000ml water and set it on a stirplate for about 18 hours before pitching into my batch. But before I got my flasks and stirplate I just used single vials or smack packs of yeast into all of my 5g batches - with good results.

I'm in Irving. That's also what I do with my yeast too. I dont have a stir plate (expensive) or a flask. I have several glass containers (pasta sauce, jelly, etc) that have been washed, washed, washed and sanitized several times to eliminate any odor. So with my starters I shake the glass container everytime I walk by... I try to do it for at least 24 hours sometimes 2 or 3 days before pitching...

I'm in Wylie and don't brew as much as i would like to...:( oh and on top of that harley is down....:mad:

Back