50 Worst Beers in the world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam Adams cherry wheat didn't make it? That list is full of FAIL.

Or their Cranberry Lambic. That crap is gross.

Funny five years ago or so this would have been my list of best beers in the world.

One summer in college, we drank a local liquor store clean out of this cheap beer called American Light. We'd literally bring it home by the trunk full. By the end of the summer, they raised the price $2 per case because we kept cleaning them out.

Same here. I picked at least a dozen of those beers that were staples in college. I can't drink Bud light anymore without instantly getting a headache.

And the reason some of those are top-selling isn't because of their taste or abillity to brew a good beer. It is because they are cheap. believe me, we didnt drink because it was well-crafted, we drank it because it was 10 bucks for a 30 rack. and we chilled it to almost freezing to insure we didn't taste it as it was guzzled down.

Another reason why so many of those beers are popular is because they have a virtual monopoly on the beer market. I watched a documentary on beer companies and the struggle that small microbreweries go through to actually make a profit and grow to a large scale production. Many of those struggles come from the fact that Americans have been told for the last 80 years that beer is supposed to taste(less) like Budweiser or Miller.
They really don't taste good though... I mean... Seriously... I don't see how this is a debate on a home brewing forum.

Funny five years ago or so this would have been my list of best beers in the world.

One summer in college, we drank a local liquor store clean out of this cheap beer called American Light. We'd literally bring it home by the trunk full. By the end of the summer, they raised the price $2 per case because we kept cleaning them out.

Haha, American light...I remember that. I used to get it back in college too. It wasn't very good. Those were they days when BMC was a premium beer to me.

And the reason some of those are top-selling isn't because of their taste or abillity to brew a good beer. It is because they are cheap. believe me, we didnt drink because it was well-crafted, we drank it because it was 10 bucks for a 30 rack. and we chilled it to almost freezing to insure we didn't taste it as it was guzzled down.

I don't agree. If your product isn't good, then it's not going to sell. Why else would you prefer one BMC product to another?

You also have to take into acount WHO is voting on this list. The guy who thinks Bud Light is king and cant stand craft beer likely didn't go on the site to give his opinion. And even so, I'm a huge fan of craft beer, but there is no way the worst 50 beers would include miller lite and bud light for me. There are plenty of craft brews that I'd gladly dump in favor of a BMC product.

Or their Cranberry Lambic. That crap is gross.

Sam Adams cherry wheat didn't make it? That list is full of FAIL.

I take it you guys have never tried this:

bonfirerauchbier1.jpg

I have to say for me the only good beer from Sam Adams is the cherry wheat even that is questionable.

Also Pike Place Brewery's Dry Wit is horrible. Its like they took the end trails of a good beer and tried to a beer from the left overs.

Proud to say I have only drank 12 of the 50. I suprised Pig's Eye and Buckhorn didn't make the list.

Shocktop's Raspberry is nasty. They kept the citrus version and tried washing raspberries into, while keeping the overload of coriander which flat out sucks. Their pumpkin ale was a lot better, because they cut the coriander back or out completely.

These lists are always stupid. So is using the Top 50 beers on ratebeer or BA.

29 out of the top 50 beers on RateBeer are Imperial Stouts.
19 out of the top 50 beers on BA are Imperial Stouts

34 out of the worst 50 beers on Rate beer are Pale Lagers.

I guess I should never drink Pale lagers, and always drink Imperial Stouts. :rolleyes:

You also have to take into acount WHO is voting on this list. The guy who thinks Bud Light is king and cant stand craft beer likely didn't go on the site to give his opinion. And even so, I'm a huge fan of craft beer, but there is no way the worst 50 beers would include miller lite and bud light for me. There are plenty of craft brews that I'd gladly dump in favor of a BMC product.

excellent points. those lists are always skewed by the fact that not everyone who drinks beer goes onto rate beer.com. and there's definitely some craft beer out there that i'd easily pass over for a PBR or Coors. some of the above listed Boston Beer products come to mind, i'd take a Pabst over pretty much anything those guys brew.

FWIW, i'm sure many of the folks that bash BMC on sites like ratebeer or beer advocate (and even here, sadly) regularly guzzle craft brews and imports owned by or affiliated with AB-InBev or MillerCoors. guinness, red hook, goose island, czechvar, lienenkugels, bass, boddingtons, newcastle, killians, shock top, blue moon, stella artois, becks, hoegaarden, fransiskaner, spaten are just a few that i can come up with that are owned by, or have distribution deals with the dreaded BMC.

Back