Thai-PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessface

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP051 Cal V Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1wk
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3wk
Tasting Notes
Very floral Thai-style IPA
Here's a recipe (or modification of a recipe) for a Thai style IPA, or Thai-PA as I call it.

It's a direct modification of Eschatz's Two Hearted clone that was tweaked for a 5.5 gal batch and fortified with some traditional Thai herbs. First of all, thanks to Eschatz for a kick-ass recipe.....I had great results this go round.

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 lb oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1 lb Rice Hulls
*mash at 158 F

1.00 oz Centennial (60 min) First wort hopped
0.25 oz Centennial added at start of boil
1.00 oz Centennial (15 min)
Irish Moss (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial (5 min)
1 bunch/handful each: lemongrass, basil, thai basil, mint, zest of 5 limes and 1/2oz. bitter orange peel (5 min)
1.00 oz Centennial (1 min)
Dry hopped in secondary with 1oz each: Centennial & Sorachi

Cold crashed, force filtered and bottled.

7% ABV

I tried a bottle at 10 days and was surprised at the amount of carbonation it had already built up. For appearance, I noticed a light golden, slightly opaque color and very frothy head.....good retention. The nose was very floral and I could really smell the lemongrass. It has a wonderful taste that's bitter, but balanced by the rest of the elements. As the name indicates, it's Thai first and IPA second. A great year-round brew that is sure to be a conversation starter. Cheers, and hat's off to Eschatz once again! I was just going for a trial taste, but am starting on my 3rd bottle now..........

Here's a recipe (or modification of a recipe) for a Thai style IPA, or Thai-PA as I call it.

It's a direct modification of Eschatz's Two Hearted clone that was tweaked for a 5.5 gal batch and fortified with some traditional Thai herbs. First of all, thanks to Eschatz for a kick-ass recipe.....I had great results this go round.

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 lb oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1 lb Rice Hulls
*mash at 158 F

1.00 oz Centennial (60 min) First wort hopped
0.25 oz Centennial added at start of boil
1.00 oz Centennial (15 min)
Irish Moss (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial (5 min)
1 bunch/handful each: lemongrass, basil, thai basil, mint, zest of 5 limes and 1/2oz. bitter orange peel (5 min)
1.00 oz Centennial (1 min)
Dry hopped in secondary with 1oz each: Centennial & Sorachi

Cold crashed, force filtered and bottled.

7% ABV

I tried a bottle at 10 days and was surprised at the amount of carbonation it had already built up. For appearance, I noticed a light golden, slightly opaque color and very frothy head.....good retention. The nose was very floral and I could really smell the lemongrass. It has a wonderful taste that's bitter, but balanced by the rest of the elements. As the name indicates, it's Thai first and IPA second. A great year-round brew that is sure to be a conversation starter. Cheers, and hat's off to Eschatz once again! I was just going for a trial taste, but am starting on my 3rd bottle now..........

Here's a pic. It's a little darker than I wanted, but that's just for style points. I served this at a local homebrew festival last week and it got a lot of compliments.

IMG_0840.jpg

Here's a pic. It's a little darker than I wanted, but that's just for style points. I served this at a local homebrew festival last week and it got a lot of compliments.

IMG_0840.jpg

Have you brewed with sorachi Ace hops before? Northern Brewer's description says it very lemony. I have a recipe built up for an IPA with a blend of citra, cascade, and sorachi. The dry hop will be primarily sorachi. Wondering how much of that lemongrass aroma you got is from the hops and how much from the actual lemongrass.

I used sorachi in a pale ale before, but didn't notice a real citrusy smell. For this one, the lemongrass prevails and the remaining fruit and seasonings covered up most of the hops, but not in a bad way. If anything, the bitterness complimented the flavors nicely and left a good balance, tho individual hops are hard to pick out

Glad to hear it! Please let me know how yours turns out.....I'd really be interested to hear another brewer's take on the recipe and the process.

How did you go about preparing the Thai spices? Did you leave everything in during fermentation too?

Between my neighbor's garden and mine, we had most of the herbs covered. I didn't measure out the portions too closely, but I think about 1/2 cup of the herbs and about 3-4 tbsp of zest would work well.
I added them all in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. I was afraid that any more time would create astringency. Most of the flavors came out great, but the lemongrass remained the dominant one over time.
Consider making 1 cup of spice tea ( 2-3 cups of water boiled with the same amount of herbs for 5 min then pull off 1 cup) and add it to secondary. I imagine it would have a similar effect. I hope you get a chance to brew it!

Oh, to answer our original question: I strained everything out after the boil for a cleaner fermentation

Back