Accidentally added ph meter storage solution into my mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan567

Reaction score
DOH!

So I'm boiling my wort right now and as I was doing some mash clean up I realized I added 3ml of Hanna ph meter storage solution into my mash instead of lactic acid. They both have similar containers and are stored near each other so it was an easy mistake ( which will never be made again ). I freaked out for a second but them found out on wikipedia that ph meter storage solution is basically just an acid solution. I couldnt find any other information about the composition of storage solution and was wondering if you guys had any information on it. Any chemists out there know if there are any other harmful components to ph meter storage solution?

It was Hanna HI 70300 storage solution

Thanks

pH meter storage solutions are usually potassium chloride which is pretty harmless stuff but I'd want to confirm that this particular stuff is potassium chloride before I drank your beer. Some also contain pH buffers. If it is pH 7 buffer then it is likely a phosphate system and safe. If it is pH 4 buffer it is pthalate and though there may not be much of it in there pthalate is not probably too good for you.

You can find the MSDS on line and while it says toxic effects are not likely it does not list the ingredients. I think I'd err on the safe side.

Back