Milling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tandom590

Reaction score
Is there a special type of tool people are using to measure the gap on a mill so that binding does not become an issue. This way both sides are even. I was thinkin if using a drill bit for thw distance needed. Has anybody came up with their own way?

I m guessing the smallest drill bit is still to big. Is the credit card the preferred size you use for your crush?

You can pick up feeler gauges at most auto supply stores. They come in sets of varied thickness. You can also find them on Ebay often with a greater choice in sizes.

I have heard the credit card works well. I have a phil mill with one roller and a crush plate so I just have it set to where I want it.

I m guessing the smallest drill bit is still to big. Is the credit card the preferred size you use for your crush?

I have a barley crusher, set at 0.030 using a credit card. It provides a great crush with out shreding the hulls. I average 85% efficiency also.

My 3 roller monster mill will be here tomorrow. Trying to figure out where to set it. I forgot about feeler gauges, good call.

Zen_Brew said:
You can pick up feeler gauges at most auto supply stores. They come in sets of varied thickness. You can also find them on Ebay often with a greater choice in sizes.

+1 on the feeler gauge. Make sure you get the flip out kind not the spark plug wheel tapper kind.

Went with the credit card spacing on my first mash and got a 96% efficieny. The monster mill 3 is a champ and very quick. Love it!

Back