Temperature during Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchusuga

Reaction score
During this hot time of the year (and the fact that we lost power for a couple of days), how important is keeping a steady temperature during secondary. And if it gets hotter than you'd like, is there anyway to remedy that?

You should try your best to stay under 70. This is especially important during the first 4 days or so. My very first beer ever got way to hot in those first few days and had a strong banana and bubblegum flavor. The only way that I know of to get rid of that off flavor is time. I have a few bottles left (3 years old) and I taste it every once in a while. Its still there, but less assertive and "in your face" banana. Good luck!

Bacchusuga said:
During this hot time of the year (and the fact that we lost power for a couple of days), how important is keeping a steady temperature during secondary. And if it gets hotter than you'd like, is there anyway to remedy that?

If you are using you secondary as a bright tank, ie. fermentation has ended and you are just letting the yeast and other solids settle out then somewhat higher temps are okay. Same temps you bottle condition at should be fine.

The cool temps are required during actual fermentation and are based on the needs of the yeast which are specified on the yeast package or manufacturers website.

Thanks. The temp was regulated better during fermentation. I just haven't had the time to bottle recently and the carboy has seen some rise in temp.

Watch the very low temps, though. I fermented my first batch in my basement. It gets down to 61 or 63 down there during the summer due to the AC continually running to keep the upstairs cool. Fermentation stalled out about 8 gravity points too soon. I ferment everything on the ground floor in a swamp cooler now. Room temp is 71/72 and I can keep fermentation temps in the 68-72 range with water and no ice.

Back