Racked Imperial IPA to secondary, smells like a barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spak

Reaction score
So I just racked my Imperial IPA to secondary will dry hop when it clears up. But it smelled like a Barley wine, and tasted somewhat like one too (smelled like Blithering Idiot from Weyerbacher, almost positive). It wasnt sour though from what I could tell

went from 1.085 to 1.020 in 5 days (meaning its 8.5% right now will probably drop lower, the airlock is bubbling, though it is really slow)

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: My IPA
Brewer: Spak
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.20 gal      
Boil Size: 1.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
Estimated Color: 13.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount       Item                                       Type         % or IBU     
1.55 lb      Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)          Dry Extract  29.0 %       
3.30 lb      Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM)            Extract      61.7 %       
0.50 lb      Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)      Grain        9.3 %        
1.00 oz      Centennial [9.60%]  (60 min)               Hops         71.0 IBU     
0.50 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (30 min)                  Hops         15.3 IBU     
0.50 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (15 min)                  Hops         9.9 IBU      
0.50 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (5 min)                   Hops         4.0 IBU      
0.50 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (1 min)                   Hops         0.9 IBU      
1.00 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (Dry Hop 7 days)          Hops          -           
0.50 tsp     Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                 Misc                      
1 Pkgs       California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 2L]         

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 0.50 lb
----------------------------

Notes:
------
added liquid extract after the boil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it blew off the top of the mr beer fermenter I put it in too, but I didnt open it up, I just cleaned up the mess that was in the container i set it in.

Four ounces of hops (including dry hop) for an IIPA seems low to me, particularly with most of the late additions in such small amounts. IBU-wise, you're getting good bitterness, but relatively little hoppiness. After the dryhopping, that should balance out a bit more, but I'd bet next time around you'd be better served upping the amounts of the later additions.

That's a 2 gallon batch smagee - sounds yummy to me. Give it a few more weeks, then send me a sample!

thanks everyone! I just need to RDWHAHB. I think I am going to let is sit longer in secondary before adding the hops, since this is imperial. It is bubbling in the secondary 1 per minute or so(so it is technically going faster than after I racked it) I also went to the LHBS and picked up an auto siphon(i tried racking it with a regular racking cane and it failed 4 times, so I just trickled it down the side of the 3 gal bottle to rack it) I also got an ounce of Simcoe for the IPA dry hopping, and a 6 gallon PET bottle to rack my porter into with a carboy hauler strap thing lol(will be putting vanilla beans in there too). :mug:

My bottled stout is doing good as well, they are firmer than when I cracked one open last Saturday to give it a taste. Oh and I dont think I will be using the Mr Beer any longer, cuz I can brew plenty with 2 secondaries. (will be doing Imperial batches in the 3 gallon, so I have enough headspace in the primary for when krausen goes insane)

you guys were SOO right. I bottled it today. Sat on cascades and simcoe for 9 days. This tastes freaking awesome(and bottle conditioned its probably going to be even better)

Smells like an orange straight up, with a bit grapefruit. Taste of orange, grapefruit, pine, and a good amount of caramel. Pretty strong bitterness as well, this should improve with the bottle conditioning. A bit on the thick side

OG: 1.085
FG: 1.020
8.5% ABV

dscn3240.jpg

I got 20 bottles out of this, I left some trub in the bottling bucket, but my last bottle had a good amount of sediment, so its going to be a lottery when I pick that one to open lol. I did crack one bottle(one of my founders bottles) on top when I capped it. I transferred it into another bottle and capped it lol.

Back