First Recipe "super gluten free"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
Ok so give me some feedback. This is my basic starter if i comes out decent then i might just start making it a regular brew. the only other thing i might add are some dry citra and amarillo hops when it goes to secondary.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
61% 7 0 Sorghum Liquid Malt Extract 37 2
26% 3 0 Rice Extract Syrup 32 0
13% 1 8 Honey 35 1

Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity
(1.073 to 1.085)
Final Gravity
(1.014 to 1.017)
Color
3° SRM / 6° EBC
(Yellow)

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Magnum pellet 14.0
boil 30 mins 0.5 Citra pellet 11.1
boil 25 mins 0.5 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 1 min 0.5 Citra pellet 11.1
boil 1 min 0.5 Amarillo pellet 7.0
Boil: 5.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
60.3 IBU / 14 HBU

BU:GU

yeast
Windsor Ale Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 80% attenuation

Alcohol
8.8% ABV / 7% ABW
Calories
268 per 12 oz.

Ok so give me some feedback. This is my basic starter if i comes out decent then i might just start making it a regular brew. the only other thing i might add are some dry citra and amarillo hops when it goes to secondary.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
61% 7 0 Sorghum Liquid Malt Extract 37 2
26% 3 0 Rice Extract Syrup 32 0
13% 1 8 Honey 35 1

Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity
(1.073 to 1.085)
Final Gravity
(1.014 to 1.017)
Color
3° SRM / 6° EBC
(Yellow)

hops
boil 30 mins 0.5 Citra pellet 11.1
Boil: 5.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
60.3 IBU / 14 HBU

BU:GU

yeast
Windsor Ale Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 80% attenuation

Alcohol
8.8% ABV / 7% ABW
Calories
268 per 12 oz.

That's a hefty brew! Have you looked into the quantities/costs of the sorghum and rice? I'm asking just because I've generally seen sorghum in 6 lb units...if that's the case you'd have to buy a whole 2nd jug...Simply for that reason, I try to base my recipes around those sizes, so I either use an even amount or I plan multiple batches that all add up to using 6 lbs.

Actually dorklord, you've mentioned that before but I don't think I fully caught it until now. Is it your LHBS offering 6lb sizes? Since Brewcraftusa sells theirs as 7 pound jars to retailers. One of my local stores sells them as a 7 pound . (homebrewing.org), and I'm going to check with them about interest in the tapioca syrup too.

Homebrewers Outpost sells the sorghum in 7#quantities. I did do the cost on it and comes out to around $60. that is with hops

Sheesh $60 seems steep. Makes me think how much I'm spending on my GF brews. I've found that the rice syrup is usually my most expensive purchase from the local health stores.

Sheesh $60 seems steep. Makes me think how much I'm spending on my GF brews. I've found that the rice syrup is usually my most expensive purchase from the local health stores.

I was just discussing the same thing last night with my wife. Rice syrup or the extract solids I can get online, either way comes out to around 6 bucks a pound. That's the primary reason I've only ever used 1 lb of it in any of my beers. At 2.5 bucks a pound the sorghum costs is easier to swallow. (Pun intended).

That's what has held me back, but I'm looking at annapolis homebrew and their Brown rice syrup price is the same as their sorghum at 9.29/ 3lb. They have flat rate shipping so if i can get a big enough order together it'll save me a bunch.

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shopEXTglutenfree.asp

Holy crap they've got DRY sorghum extract!

That price isn't too bad, I wonder if I can convince any not-so-local HBS to order some of that from Breiss (so I can avoid 8 bucks shipping...)

I've ordered from annapolis. I have an IPA in the primary right now that used 3 lbs of BRS and 1.5 lbs or dry sorghum extract (3 gallon batch). I should check on it today and decide if I'm dry hopping or if it's going right to the keg.

Thanks for all the help guys. So I think since the supplier sells the honey in 2# then im going to swap 1# of rice for the remain 1/2# of honey. Simpler that way. Im definatlly going to dry hop in the secondary with cirta. Im also going to add about an ounce of orange peel to the last 5 mins of the boil.

That's what has held me back, but I'm looking at annapolis homebrew and their Brown rice syrup price is the same as their sorghum at 9.29/ 3lb. They have flat rate shipping so if i can get a big enough order together it'll save me a bunch.

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shopEXTglutenfree.asp

Austin Howbrew Supply has 3# of Sorghum extract for $7.99. Their other prices are pretty reasonable. My LHBS is only about 10% more expensive, so I try to help out the local guy as often as I can. But, for all-grain, AHS has a few session beer recipes that are $15-20! Can't beat that. :mug:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12001

i ordered everything yesterday from hombrewers outpost. this is the final receipe. I hope it comes out great. I think it will. thank you all for all the feedback. and please feel free to continure on the final plans.

Malt or Fermentable
LB OZ ppg °L
64% 7 0 Sorghum Liquid Malt Extract 37 2
18% 2 0 Honey 35 1
18% 2 0 Rice Extract Syrup 32 0
11 0

Batch size: 5.0 gallons Original Gravity
(1.070 to 1.082)
Final Gravity
(1.014 to 1.017)
Color
3° SRM / 7° EBC
(Yellow)

hops
boil 25 mins 0.5 Citra pellet 11.1
misc
use time amount ingredient
boil 5 min 1 ounces Orange Peel, Sweet info

Boil: 5.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes Bitterness
60.8 IBU / 14 HBU
yeast
Windsor Ale Dry Yeast

Alcohol
8.4% ABV / 7% ABW
Calories
259 per 12 oz.

This "bad boy" has been brewed and has just been transfered to secondary to mellow. It pretty hoppy. almost to much so im going to let it chill a little bit. but the overall it really good. im really happy with it.

This "bad boy" has been brewed and has just been transfered to secondary to mellow. It pretty hoppy. almost to much so im going to let it chill a little bit. but the overall it really good. im really happy with it.

Every single beer should taste hoppier than you want it while it is in the primary or just coming out of it. The flavor you are tasting is called "green" and comes with some other characteristics as well.

I know it should taste hoppier and that's why i always secondary but this is more hoppy than normal. I should have phrased it as the hops are our of balance with the malt thus needed longer time

Does secondary really mellow out a beer? I would think that time itself would do this, not transferring to secondary...

I can see something to the idea that the beer can off-gas in secondary, so certain flavors compounds can dissipate, while once you bottle it, nothing is really getting out...

But that should be achieved in a longer primary...

Just cracked this open last night. Its pretty dam good. Lots of flavor and you can get a buzz two of them if you drink real quick. The only thing i would change is moving the 30min hop to 20min. Cheers

Back