Partial Mash but full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37OliveStBrews

Reaction score
I brew exclusively through kits (AHS, NB, MW, and local HBSS) and up until now have always done partial boils with my partial mash kits. But I want to do a full boil since I have the capacity and I hear the beer tastes better.
Here is my question, why can't I just mash with more water to get my boil volume and follow the recipe as is since all I do is top off with water anyways?
Thanks.

I brew exclusively through kits (AHS, NB, MW, and local HBSS) and up until now have always done partial boils with my partial mash kits. But I want to do a full boil since I have the capacity and I hear the beer tastes better.
Here is my question, why can't I just mash with more water to get my boil volume and follow the recipe as is since all I do is top off with water anyways?
Thanks.

In short, no.

Now, comes the explaination and still how to do a full boil. :D

Mashing requires enzymatic conversion, from starch to simple sugars. To do that, you need a certain pH in the mash and a certain temperature. That generally requires a mash of 1.25-2 quarts of water per pound of grain. Most people find that 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain works best. The temperature range is variable, but 153-154 is a good basic temperature.

Then comes the sparge. Sparging is "rinsing" the grain of the rest of the sugars that were converted during the mash. You can sparge with up to .5 gallons of sparge water per pound of grain, without risking oversparging.

So, for a typical PM, say you have 5 pounds of grain.
5 pounds of grain x 1.5 quarts of water per pound= 7.5 quarts of water.
The grain will absorb about .125 gallons per pound- so you should get out 1.25 gallons of wort out of this mash.

For the sparge, you can use up to 2.5 gallons of water for the sparge. You won't have any more absorption, so you'll end up with 2.5 gallons out of the sparge.

At that point, you'd have 1.25 gallons (mash), and 2.5 gallons (sparge)= 3.75 gallons in the boil kettle. You can then top up to 6.25 gallons with water (or whatever your boil volume is), add your DME or LME and start your boil.

Adding water to the boil is fine, rather than oversparging your grains.

Thank you Yooper for the great explanation. After poking around I found the reason why you wouldn't want to do what I proposed (tannins and other off tastes). So I guess I can still do the full boil with my mash schedule but will have to top off the water pre-boil. Thanks again for contributing.

Yooper, Just curious what would over-sparging do? Release tannins or something?

EDIT: got it. Nevermind. :)

Thanks so much for this thread!

I just upped to a 40 QT kettle and propane burner and was searching for this very answer!

Thanks so much for this info.

Cheers

The pH would rise by oversparging because you're introducing more water than necessary, and water has a pH of around 7-8, correct? I want to help clarify the mindset here for new AG brewers.

So let's say you're brewing via Partial Mash in a mesh bag (BIAB). And instead of sparging and mashing out in the traditional sense, you dip the entire grain bag (after the mini mash) in another kettle containing the remaining amount of plain water required by the full volume boil recipe at mashout temps. This sort of acts like a sparge and mashout together. You're rinsing the grain in a large volume of mashout temp water. But no more water is introduced than necessary... So what you have there is your start boil volume. But the wort is diluted by the water and requires additional Extract to reach target gravity. The low pH grain wort is buffered by the higher pH of water, but the extract combats this again by reducing the pH and then after the boil, the pH is even lower.

I want to keep this open for discussion so we don't confuse the partial mash brewers that go this route. Thoughts?

Oh, get over yourself. A few of you guys are so bothered by people resurrecting old threads :)

The thread was linked in a new 2012 post.

If we're all here to help each other then I don't see the problem. Thanks for your constructive input!!

So, can I assume that pH is a function of the wort/water combination & that with too much water (mash or sparge) can cause undesirables?

I have a question about this in relation to partial mashing:

Could you mash (or sparge for that matter) in a greater water volume IF you were using water diluted with extract? Or does pH have more to do with the actual grains vs. the wort?

Back