Electric Brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBuch

Reaction score
How many of you built your own stand?

I was thinking of ordering this: Here

They make them big enough to fit 3 keggles and I can't imagine being able to beat their economies of scale building my own or hiring a welder.

- Joe

I don't yet have one I like- I have one made out of metal shelving. But when I do buy one, I'm going to get one of these:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/new-2-tier-brew-stand-177502/

He makes them for about $300 or so, without the burners for an electric brewery. I can't decide if I want a two-tier, or to add a pump and use a single tier.

I went with this one. Beautiful and sturdy, and not that expensive for all stainless. You can get one with the galv undershelf for cheaper. They will also cut you a deal on shipping. I've not regretted once going with the 6 foot table, it's nice to have extra space on your brew table.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-x72-All-Stai...ltDomain_0&hash=item53d9e2407c#ht_1221wt_1038

+1 I would go with the stainless steel table. At 6', it's plenty long enough, easier to clean and casters can be added later. It's about the same price as the cart.

I have a basic stand built out of wood. It is in my signature.

At this point I am devoting more time to controls and some other projects than aesthetics of the brewstand. I do appreciate a well designed and good looking stand, though.

I'll be doing wood. I don't see the need for the extra cost of metal when using electric. I've been collecting 4x4's from work and2x4's from pallets from work so cost will be minimum :D

I built mine out of wood. It still needs casters and it will be ready to do a test run.

Psst... just between you and me... When most folks talk about "taking their rig for a test run", they don't really "run" with them. You could probably try brewing on it without the wheels ;)

Psst... just between you and me... When most folks talk about "taking their rig for a test run", they don't really "run" with them. You could probably try brewing on it without the wheels ;)

If I can't ride it down the hill, what good is it?

:confused:

What were the costs to build with wood? What were were your dimensions?

I used 1/2" B/C plywood and framing 2x4's. Cost for wood and wood screws was about $35. I had some small nails I used to attach the plywood on hand. The paint (primer and interior/exterior latex) cost about $15.

Dimensions (if I remember right) are 60" long, 24" deep, and 20" high. The casters will add about 4", giving me a top deck 24.5" or so high.

I wanted it low for easy keggle access, but enough height to give me about 18" of drop to the pump.

I built mine. Cost me about $100 for the 1.5" sq steel tubing. I'm getting it powder coated for $40.

TB

I also got my brew stand welded up this weekend...

Cutting the steel 1.5" x 1.5" steel tubing:
IMG_5763.jpg

I made a model and drawing in Unigraphics NX beforehand, and that made the build go much smoother:
IMG_5779.jpg

Welding the top frame:
IMG_5777.jpg

C-clamps come in handy:
IMG_5790.jpg

Try not to look directly into the arc...or my bald spot:
IMG_5794.jpg

I designed and fabricated a method for holding my large counterflow chiller. Here's some of it in progress:
IMG_5798.jpg

Works like a charm:
IMG_5806.jpg

IMG_5807.jpg

Here's the final mockup. I still need to get it powder coated and mount the pumps:

IMG_5809.jpg

IMG_5811.jpg

TB

+1 on the stainless tables. I bought a 4' and a 5' for $150 on CL. I'm going to sell the 4' for $100 or so and recoup some of that = $50 stainless steel brew stand :rockin:

What wire, size, and gas did you use for your stainless? I've got a mig setup but have never tried stainless with it.

Thanks!
I built mine. Cost me about $100 for the 1.5" sq steel tubing. I'm getting it powder coated for $40.

TB

Looks great-I'm already set up for mild steel, but have wanted to try stainless. I've got 2 different recommendations for gas-one guy says trimix. I've already got Argon CO2 gas.

For those of you with wood stands, what do you use for the top? Plywood? Anyone use laminate counters or anything else interesting?

For that price its worth going with SS...the maintenance on mild steel will cost the difference over a few years.....

Tiber Brew, my thinking you would want the CFC to be mounted vertical so that it will drain out 100% on its own vs having all those loops half filled with what ever was last run thru it.
With total cost of build, start with a $3,000 budget then see what you have left over if your lucky, much better than
B S N'ing the wife with a $1,000 max build then coming up way short. Ya think!

Tiber Brew, my thinking you would want the CFC to be mounted vertical so that it will drain out 100% on its own vs having all those loops half filled with what ever was last run thru it.
I back flush my chiller with boiling water and then chase that water out after each brew session. Before I run the wort through, I pump boiling water through it for several minutes as well. There is a negligible amount of standing (sanitized) water after brewing, and whatever is in there is chased out before the next use with boiling water. No issues yet, and this the best orientation of the chiller for my stand.

With total cost of build, start with a $3,000 budget then see what you have left over if your lucky, much better than
B S N'ing the wife with a $1,000 max build then coming up way short. Ya think!

What? Was this directed at someone else? Sorry if I missed something. :)

TB

Back