Help me come up with my 50th Birthday (or my Memorial) 5 year aged Barleywine recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post, finally decided to stop lurking.

I was at the party and got to taste some of this limited edition Barleywine. I wish I could give detailed tasting notes, but so many flavors were in the beer. It wasn't cloyingly sweet either. Every sip would change which flavors would be exposed to the palate.

My only complaint is there aren't more bottles to help catalog the changes that may happen over time.

I can't wait to get a hold of that barrel and throw my 6.5%ish Stout in there for a few months.

Guess that answers my question.

:D

LOL,
After successfully hosting my 50th birthday Barleywine for 3 years my barrel has a temporary home for the next six months at my friend Skuee's place where its going to be lending it's flavors to a stout. Can't wait to taste his beer, and then get the barrel back for another one of my own.

11209409_10101431709190486_548625723735542293_n.jpg

I guess an Arrogant Bastard clone put in there would be pretty good...

Hmm...

So when I let Skuee take the barrel home with him, I drained out the 3 gallons of distilled water with a cup of bourbon I filled it with after bottling and whatever dregs from the barely wine that got pulled out into a bucket. In the next week or so I'm going to make a pumpkin ale and use that water as my sparge....should be awesome.

Hardest thing I experience is resisting the urge to pop the bung and take a sample. I really need to move the barrel somewhere where I can't see it all the time.

Revvy glad to hear/see you are still alive and kicking. I use to enjoy reading your posts of which I have not seen a lot in the last year or so. I just past 72 a few months ago and luckily am still healthy. Happy Birthday and have many more to come.

My Barrel's coming back soon. Hard to believe it's been nearly 6 month at Skuee's house. I've been falling in love with Griffin Claws 6-9 month barrel aged stouts, so thinking about doing something like that. A nice bourbon barrel aged coffee vanilla porter or stout perhaps.

Oh, there's some peeps on this thread saying more than a week is too long in a barrel ?!?!?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHA.... wimps.

Where do people come up with stuff like that?

What's the point of using a barrel then....they don't call it barrel aging for nothing.

Wow! This is by far the best thing that happened in 2016 to me so far...

I start reading this from 5 years ago, not knowing anything thinking OMG... he could be dead... and he is so young!!! and I click on the last page not knowing what I will find and I find this... :)

Wow! This did so many things to me at once... appreciate life... be utterly happy for a complete stranger and feel blessed to be able to read this and feel happy for OP to be able to enjoy his beer...

holy...*** I am overwhelmed right now!

OP, please keep enjoying beer for the next 50 years!

My Barrel's coming back soon. Hard to believe it's been nearly 6 month at Skuee's house. I've been falling in love with Griffin Claws 6-9 month barrel aged stouts, so thinking about doing something like that. A nice bourbon barrel aged coffee vanilla porter or stout perhaps.

Oh, there's some peeps on this thread saying more than a week is too long in a barrel ?!?!?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHA.... wimps.

Where do people come up with stuff like that?

What's the point of using a barrel then....they don't call it barrel aging for nothing.

A 5 liter barrel (which the OP is using in that thread you're mocking) will incorporate the wood character much faster than a 55g, or even 5g barrel. Yes, it will be days or weeks at that scale. Shrug...

A 5 liter barrel (which the OP is using in that thread you're mocking) will incorporate the wood character much faster than a 55g, or even 5g barrel. Yes, it will be days or weeks at that scale. Shrug...

Damn, didn't catch the "L" I saw five and my mind went to G.... I am a 'murican afterall, that metric stuff don't mean nuthin to us. :fro:

Thanks for sharing Revvy. I have learned quite a bit from your posts over the past few years, and it was nice to see this post. Glad to see things are going well.

Damn.... according to FB Memories today's the day...

It was 10 years ago today that a group of friends gathered with me to brew a special beer, and extremely strong, once in a lifetime, barleywine that was going to be laid up for 5 year- most of it in an Oak Barrel- until my 50th birthday. But honestly none of us, especially me knew if I would be there to drink it, or if they would be drinking it in my memory. This was during that scary time where the doctors still hadn't figured out what was wrong with my heart- and I didn't know what my future would be.

The whole day was pretty magical- The recipe had come together as sort of a world wide collaboration between homebrewers on HomeBrewTalk.com (some even brewed a similar recipe on the same day) a friend donated 50 year old honey for it, another friend lent me his yard, others brought equipment to pull this massive batch off. We had an amazing BBQ meal while brewing. We also made meads, including a 5th century burnt honey mead called a bochet.
It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since this day- and we did get to drink it on my Birthday 5 years ago. It turned out to be 19.75% ABV, more like a liqueur than a beer.
It survived my housefire (by the sheer luck of bringing the barrel upstairs 3 days before the fire- had I not it would have been flooded out in my storage area by all the fire department water.
And it was amazing.
For my 55th birthday I planned to pull the remaining bottles out from my storage under the stairs leading to the flat above mine, but there is 6 month's worth of returnables blocking it, so sadly it will have to wait....
But I can say one thing though, it was a survivor...I guess like me.

First time I've noticed this thread. Glad to hear that your health situation turned out for the better. Here's to 10 more years, and another 20 or so after that.

:mug:

Back