How do you decide what to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brundage

Reaction score
Most frequently I make beers "to style". That is, I pick or design recipes based on historic beer styles. My focus is generally on brews rarely available in my area. The last such beer was a Belgian Triple and the next one will be Düsseldorf Altbier. Researching styles and their individual brewing techniques adds to my enjoyment of the hobby. I page through back issues of BYO and Zummurgy, and read the Classic Style book if it is available.

Less often I devise an experimental, outside guidelines batch. My inspiration in these cases comes from an ingredient that I want to spotlight or become more familiar with. The nettle beer is a recent example. Some of these recipes, like Rye of the Hurricane, even make it into the brewing rotation. I would like for the nettle beer to become a regular recipe, but after tasting it today it will need much work.

Finally, I enjoy making traditional seasonal beers. The only current example of this is a barleywine that has been conditioning since May. I will tap that one on my birthday in late October.

Original blog post here.

I usually go the simple route and just make brews that I've tried before and liked. Started off with a few batches of a basic PA, moved on to an IPA (bottle conditioning at the moment). Planning on a pretty damn good Xmas recipe I found on Beersmith next.

Edit: also thinking about a clone of Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous ale around New Years' time...

I didn't set out to create a pattern, but I seem to make an IPA or APA every other brew (if not more often), and various stuff in between.

I enjoy designing a recipe and then drinking it as I read the guidelines comparing it. Most of mine are close. I have like five recipes I do over and over unchanged except to what ever subs I have on hand and I usually have five or so other recipes I'm working on for future brews. There all on hopville.com.

i rarely follow a recipe , i usually just pick a style i feel like and go to the recipe section and read the ingredients and create something of my own this is my way of being creative it works for me.

I pick a few styles out of what I have been thinking about and start cobbling together recipes. Eventually one of the speaks to me and I brew that one :)

One home brew shop here in Houston, always has three spouts ready to go. I used to go with the one that I liked of the three. Now I am All Grain, so it is wheat, until I get it down to freezer size containers. Then I will have a few pounds of Pale 6 row, a few pounds of Wheat, ready to find a recipe that I can buy a bag of grain and go another type of beer for a while. I like em all!:mug:

Right now 10 gallons of wheat, one secondary 5.5 pounds of cherries, one secondary with 5.5 pounds pumkin.

Plain Wheat (or whatever) in the kegerator, 4 gallons of the original 10 gallon batch. Built grinder setup, testing the grinder out, and before I knew it I had 21 pounds of Pale ready, so I added 6 lbs. Wheat to it, oz of Cascade (bittering) oz Tetnager (flavoring). This Home Brew stuff is great, I can't even screw up...I like this crazy recipe:ban:

I usually brew higher gravity brews (7%+) of styles I like. I always like to have an RIS and an IPA on hand, but those are my beers of choice. I like brewing higher gravity beers because, with all the time and effort invested in brewing, I get better bang for the buck. I like to have a session beer on hand, but 5 gallons tends to go quickly. I also always have Apfelwein going.

BJCP syle dartboard?
Forces you to extend your horizons and challenge your pallet. Then there is the problem of finding good recipes for it. :)

BJCP syle dartboard?
Forces you to extend your horizons and challenge your pallet. Then there is the problem of finding good recipes for it. :)

Back