Oxygen absorbing bottle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
I just got a good buy on some oxygen absorbing bottle caps. In reading the instructions, I find that the absorbtion properties of the caps are activated when they get wet. How do you sanitize them with out activating the caps?

Interesting. The only time that I ever used them, they didnt come with directions. There was a thread a while ago in which I recomended to someone that they sanitize them normally.

No idea what to tell you. I'll ask next time Im at the LHBS

- magno

I think the absorbing process takes a little time....I'm sure it's not instant.

I'll probably save the caps for a mead or some other long maturing beer. My local home brewer said that an ultraviolet light is the best way but who has an UV lite!

Interesting; I've used oxygen barrier caps before and boiled them to sanitize. No probs here. But to be perfectly honest, I think the oxygen absorption is slight overkill. Once you prime, the yeast will use up any remaining air (small amount overall) anyways. I've always thought that oxygen caps are just one of those things to do just to insure that you relax and don't worry...

Marc.

Back