I didn't want to do it (FFF Blackheart Help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually am apalled by the "help me clone this" type threads, but I now come hat in hand with a request for help.

Three Floyds' Blackheart

Just snagged another bottle tonight and goolllllly is good...

Of course their website is off in never-never-land and currently not (or ever) functioning.

The label says:
"This beer is Three Floyds' U.K. IPA brewed with all English ingredients and aged on toasted oak"

No other info given, not even ABV (although some sites list it as 9%)

Rate beer has a slightly less vague "commercial description" (possibly from before the website went under construction) and describes it as:
English IPA brewed with British Malt Simpsons, British Yeast, UK East Kent Goldings & UK Admiral Hops - and American Formulation

Reviews from the typical places:
Three Floyds Brewing Co. / Brewery & Pub - Beers - BeerAdvocate
Three Floyds BlackHeart English IPA from Three Floyds Brewing Company - Ratebeer

And not so typical
BeerDorks.com: Beer Reviews
http://theviceblog.com/2009/07/08/three-floyds-blackheart/
Chicagoist's "Beer of the Week:" Three Floyd's Blackheart IPA - Chicagoist: Chicago News, Food, Arts & Events

So I need help:
My generic stab (70% eff)
Simpsons Pale Ale Malt (17lbs)
T&F Crystal II (45L-55L) (12oz)
Simpsons Chocolate Malt (only 1-2oz max)
Bitter with Admiral at 60 and 45 (1oz ea)
Hop burst at the end with EKG (1 oz ea at 20, 10, 5, 0)
Yeast (need help here) maybe ringwood or 1968 ESB?
Dryhop with EKG?
Oak with french house toast cubes

Thoughts?

I also love the Blackheart and was planning on attempting a clone. I can't really comment on the grain bill without doing a little more research, but based on what I'm reading about the Admiral hops, they sound like they contribute much more than just bittering based on how I remember this tasting.

I would go with:
Admiral - 60 Mins - 60% of IBUs
Admiral and EKG 30/70 Blend - 20 Mins - 20% of IBUs
A/EKG Blend - 10 Mins - 15% of IBUs
A/EKG Blend - 1 Mins / Whirlpool - 5% of IBUs
A/EKG Blend - Dryhop 3-4 oz per 5 Gal

That's how I would do it, and then adjust from there.

Good ideas on the hopping schedule, i'll have to do a little more reading on Admiral and maybe a half size SMaSH (MO and Admrial) is in order to develop my sense of their flavor....

I developed the grain bill based on my (and the other reviewers) tasting notes. Also taking into account the tips included in the last zymurgy for crafting EIPA and IIPA styles. Taking into account most EIPAs are mostly all base malt with little specialties only for balance/color.
I'm wondering if this should have any sugar in it, 17lbs is a hell of a lot of base malt....

Taking into account most EIPAs are mostly all base malt with little specialties only for balance/color.
I'm wondering if this should have any sugar in it, 17lbs is a hell of a lot of base malt....

Yeah, but 3 Floyds also calls Alpha King a Pale Ale.

I would probably take something like Jamil's recipe that has a bit of crystal in it and tweak from there. The Blackheart is a pretty big beer. I need to pick another one up and take some better tasting notes.

I bought a bomber of this yesterday to try to help more with the recipe.

Here's what I got from a tasting (what may be an older bottle BTW):
- Lots and lots of carmel. More like 20 than 40
- More orangey hop flavor than floral
- More floral aroma than citrusy

Based on that, I would probably go admiral at 60 and 20 and EKG at 5 or flameout.

I didn't get any roasty out of it at all. Just tons of bright sweetness from the carmel.

Resurrecting this one fellas since its been a long while but if your all still here....any final recipes on this clone? I'm looking to brew this with a buddy who him and his wife absolutely love it....thanks.

I think you've put together a great attempt at a clone. Do NOT swap the Simpsons malt for another UK maltster; these small UK floor maltsters have some pretty unique tasting specialty malts and swapping them often creates a different beer.

Adam

Back