Getting Started -- In need of advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knomadic_niki

Reaction score
Hi,
I've never brewed anything in my life but I'm so eager to do so (i just acquired 5 lbs of overripe plums and bananas i need to use asap). Is there any one who can give me a simple, brief, concise overview of 1. the basic equipment I need and 2. the general method behind the madness that is brewing...ie. you mix so and so and then such and such takes place during the primary and then you do this and that and this happens in the secondary etc etc....

or, is there a good web resource that i can use. i've been searching all day and i'm getting more and more confused. i dont want anything fancy, just to put some ingredients together and let them do their thing, which would hopefully be turning into something delicious and intoxicating. i met some folks recently who made some fruit cider they said only took 2 weeks to ferment. it was sparkling and sweet and good strong. they said they only used a 1.5 gallon glass jar with a homemade airlock (something about a pill bottle and a pen cap?). whats the deal with specific gravity? help!

most gratefully yours
niki:fro:

Back