yeast starter krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
Ok, who clicked here blood boiling "not another one!":mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, just trying to get a few of you worked up.
I did a search and found very little info on this problem. Which is the exact opposite of what most of you were thinking when you saw this thread:
I have made a starter and it is just about foaming out of the container???
I have made a few starters, and have never heard/read about this. I am not worried, just wondering if this is common.

4 cups water
1 cup DME (extra light)
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
white labs Belgian wit WL 400
1 gallon cider jug
boiled wort and cooled to 70 degrees
pitched yeast and placed on stir plate.
It foamed almost to the neck of the jug.
One last thing, this is my first time using white labs.
So has anyone else had the "bubbly starter"?

I have never had that much of a krausen either on my starters. I do know that the Wit yeasts in general do ferment vigorously, so that may be the case with yours as well. I hardly ever even see a krausen due to the fact that the whole starter is constantly stirred with the stirplate.

I don't see any need to worry at this point though. As long as it looks and smells "normal" before pitching, there's no need to worry about a possible infection or anything of that nature.

I have never had that much of a krausen either on my starters. I do know that the Wit yeasts in general do ferment vigorously, so that may be the case with yours as well. I hardly ever even see a krausen due to the fact that the whole starter is constantly stirred with the stirplate.

I don't see any need to worry at this point though. As long as it looks and smells "normal" before pitching, there's no need to worry about a possible infection or anything of that nature.
I thought I would have the same situation with the stir plate and all.
Closer inspection upon the bubbles, large sticky looking bubbles (like in a primary) in the middle and top. Smaller co2 bubbles on the bottom and moving up the sides (from the stir plate I assume).

I thought I would have the same situation with the stir plate and all.
Closer inspection upon the bubbles, large sticky looking bubbles (like in a primary) in the middle and top. Smaller co2 bubbles on the bottom and moving up the sides (from the stir plate I assume).

I don't know where this myth of no krausen on your starters comes from, but I routinely get a nice head on mine, despite the stirplate going at full speed.

In fact, I have a 5000mL erlenmeyer flask that I just bought, and it currently has 4000mL of starter wort in it, and I pitched a pack of Wyeast Weihenstephaner hefeweizen yeast onto it on Tuesday night. Nothing yesterday morning, nothing when I get home, nothing when I went to bed last night...woke up this morning to a very active, bubbling krausen that was almost all the way up the neck of that big bastard of a flask.

There's nothing wrong with this, it just depends on the yeast strain. Hefe strains are famous for blowoffs, so it's only natural that you get a good krausen on the starter too. The wit strain that the OP is using is probably similar.

I get a big krausen on my starters on a regular basis. My last one, WLP300 hefeweizen, overflowed the container big time. Now it's doing much the same thing with my beer. :mug:

So.... against my better judgment, I stepped this up today, one more cup of dme in 4 cups of water.

Big mistake, after about an hour on the stirrer, she blew the foil off, and I have a mess on the counter, shut it off, and put in a blow off tube.
Now the stuff coming out of the blow off tube is pure yeast right? How do I slow this down?

Back