Ideas for very malty red ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I'm thinking a couple pounds of munich, some dark (ca 90L) crystal and maybe some melanoiden in addition to a very small (.5 oz) amount of roasted barley. And a fairly low BU/GU ratio--maybe something like 1.050 with 20 IBUs.

Any comments? Anyone tried to achieve something like this?

(edit: forgot to mention probably a little Biscuit or special roast or something like that for a slight nutty/roasty component)

I think you're going in the right direction. I'd probably bumb the OG up a bit; easiest way to get more malty is to use more malt! Maybe 1055 - 1060ish, decent-sized but not huge. What yeast? Maybe use something that's a wee bit less attenuative.

When I'm going for malty, I use Munich generously. I recently used crystal 120L and loved it. It was much deeper than the crystals I've used in the past...

cweston said:
I'm thinking a couple pounds of munich, some dark (ca 90L) crystal and maybe some melanoiden in addition to a very small (.5 oz) amount of roasted barley. And a fairly low BU/GU ratio--maybe something like 1.050 with 20 IBUs.

Any comments? Anyone tried to achieve something like this?

(edit: forgot to mention probably a little Biscuit or special roast or something like that for a slight nutty/roasty component)
I would throw some vienna in it as well as some toasted. I made something like this about 2 months ago.I tried to make a lighter body by adding some corn sugar and flaked rice.. It came out pretty good but it need a little more hop bitterness. I used northern brewer, Hallertauer and then fuggle. My ibu's were only at 14. the recipe was something like this..
44% pale 2 row
22% vienna
10% munich (for more malt flavor add more Munich and take out basemalt
4% toasted (toasted myself for 15 minutes on 325)
6% honey malt
1% black patent(i would trade out for roasted Barley)
5% crystal 60
5% flaked rice (do away with unless you want a lighter body)
1% corn sugar (for lighter body only)
Hope this helps. I made a 13 gallon batch. I used an irish ale yeast and an american ale yeast in 2 seperate fermenters.. I would recommend the irish ale yeast for a slightly nuttier and slightly sweeter beer.. The 1056 was a lot cleaner tasting.a little drier. I also mixed the 2 after primary fermentaion in a smaller carboy and that batch seemed to balance eachother out.I agree with the bird..My og was 1.059 Hope this helps...

Back