Kegorator Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastie

Reaction score
I live in Houston and I am perplexed as to use a fridge or a chest freezer. I have to keep this is the garage as my cigar collection uses up my allotted interior space. I am concerned that a fridge will not be able too or have to over work to keep the kegs really cold with heat we have in the summer time. Anyone in the south have any experience with these issues? :confused:

Thanks,
Dave

I live in Houston, and have had 2 kegerators in my garage for years. One is actually for sale as I bought a newer fridge last year. I never had a problem with either of them keeping beer down at around 34 degrees.

I'm using a 25-30 yo fridge in a PHX garage and have no problems holding temps from 32 to 75 using an analog controller.

I can't speak to the day-to-day grind of your Houston humidity.

I am also eating way more juice than I should but... beer is worth it.

I made my kegerator out of a new 5 cu ft chest freezer. It holds 3 coney kegs and the Co2 bottle. I have a 3 port draft tower and use a ETC digital temp control to keep my beer at my desired temp.

I love it.
keg003.jpg

keg001.jpg

This last one shows some quick made handles, I now have the black plastic handles.

Chest freezers are better insulated, so that is probably the way to go. I'm planning on building a new one this summer.

Back