My frigidaire kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIPbrewery

Reaction score
First, a big thanks to the HBT guys that posted excellent directions on how to make this possible. Took major guts for me to tear the top off and start carving out insulation. I guess it wouldnt have been a big deal if it were an old fridge....but a new one with a stainless front...phew - glad it all worked out.

Purchased the Frigidaire compact fridge at best buy. The draft tower came from the beverage factory and the rolling cart was made from scrap wood and some casters that were hanging around from and old machine at work.

297hu.jpg

298e.jpg

299ht.jpg

Looks very nice buddy, I especialy like the golf ball handle very cool.....FYI I have the same faucets you have and I hate them....they stick after just two days of not pouring beer. If you use them daily, then you are good....if not you'll soon learn to hate them as I do.

FYI I bought two perlicks which DO NOT STICK EVER and have no way of bacteria hiding in them from Ritebrew.com (I'm not affiliated with them, just offering a heads up)....the cheapest I found anywhere just incase you are intersted.

Take Care
Joe

Looks very nice buddy, I especialy like the golf ball handle very cool.....FYI I have the same faucets you have and I hate them....they stick after just two days of not pouring beer. If you use them daily, then you are good....if not you'll soon learn to hate them as I do.

FYI I bought two perlicks which DO NOT STICK EVER and have no way of bacteria hiding in them from Ritebrew.com (I'm not affiliated with them, just offering a heads up)....the cheapest I found anywhere just incase you are intersted.

Take Care
Joe

Dang, thats disappointing. One would think that if the beer faucets are actually made to pour beer, they would be able to do the job well. :(

I like the golf ball handle idea. Did you thread a small rod through them at all? If they're only held together by glue/epoxy, I can just imagine the first stuck faucet or drunk person to come along will rip that handle right off.

Is your fridge on a dolly, or are those casters attached to the fridge?

If they are attached to the fridge, were you able to just screw them in, or did you have attach them some other way?

I was looking into putting some casters on mine, but wanted then to be smaller so the fridge keeps a lower profile.

I like the golf ball handle idea. Did you thread a small rod through them at all? If they're only held together by glue/epoxy, I can just imagine the first stuck faucet or drunk person to come along will rip that handle right off.

Yep, I drilled through the 4 balls and inserted a 5/16" threaded rod lol..that sounds bad. Coated the threaded rod with epoxy and slid the balls on like a beef kabob. THen obviously drilled a bigger hole in the bottom ball for the thread insert.

Is your fridge on a dolly, or are those casters attached to the fridge?

If they are attached to the fridge, were you able to just screw them in, or did you have attach them some other way?

I was looking into putting some casters on mine, but wanted then to be smaller so the fridge keeps a lower profile.

I started to attach the casters directly to the fridge..but i wasnt sure the metal on the bottom was thick enough to withstand the forces of the 5 gallon kegs. So, i ended up building a small dolly cart..nothing too special about it, just a platform with some tight fitting sides acting like cleats.

Yeah brother sorry to rain on your beautiful build, but I found out the hard way...I have a 12" solid handle and a 10" pewter on the other and a few days in between pours (mind you my kegerator is in the house where temps are constant) and it feels like I am going to rip the f'ing thing off....then all the crusties that dried in between pours end up in my glass....maybe you'll have better luck.

Back