Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I broke my thermohydrometer right after taking it out of the box... took it out of the tube and sat it on my counter where it broke in half. Never even got to use it. It seems it was much thinner glass then my regular hydrometer.

Broke mine the first time I used it. Picked it out of the starsan where it was floating happily, and either I picked it up too quick, or nicked the side of the bucket, the thing broke in half.
Broken count: 202

Broke my first one 2 months ago. Left it in the sink and sat my pot on it. So I order a new one and guess what happens...lol I set it down where I thought it would be safe and it fell.

broken count: 204

I've been brewing for decades and never broke one. But, I ordered a precision one from Austin and it came broken! Does that count? (They did replace it ASAP.)

I broke mine stirring a starter(hydrometers are stir sticks too, right?)
Broken Count: 209

Only one for me. Turns out they arent durable enough to accidentally sit on...

Broken count: 210

Sad thing is i had no idea it was broken until it sank to the bottom of my testing tube thing and i noticed the glass had cracked off on the top... i'll attribute to all the RDWHAHB that was going on...

I've started thinking of them as disposable and buying more than one at a time. Last one I broke slipped out of my hand on it's first use.

+3=227

I broke my neighbors on our first brew day together. He broke the replacement on our next brew day. I'll only count the one I broke though.

227+1=228

I had one sitting in a bucket of cleaning solution, didn't see it in there, and "Bruce Lee'd it" getting the air lock out. Yes...my kung fu is strong...

228+1=229

I was just finishing up a perfect brew day. Making a Utopias clone. Almost seven hours from heating up the strike water to end of clean up. Everything was perfect, hit all of my numbers on the nose. I had my hydrometer on the kitchen counter in it's tube, I put my freshly cleaned kettle up there right by it and wasn't paying attention and I heard a crash. But that only makes two for me in five years.

My wife got sick of all my equipment laying around the kitchen and decided to throw everything into my bottling bucket. Next brew session went to take a reading, BROKEN!

(grumble) last brew session I broke one, after chilling to pitching temp I went to take a reading and the thing just slipped right through my fingers. Carport floor is concrete -the poor instrument didn't have a chance. I was kind of aggravated and it had been a long day. Figured I'd just go to the LHBS and get another, along with a few other things I've been putting off. Get home, decide to take a reading and it slid out of the tube, hit the floor and left this life. Sucks to be me. 2 in a day. Maybe I SHOULD take the hint and buy several. sigh.
What really bites is that lately I haven't been bothering with readings. Just had a feeling -one I should have ignored.

jburk said:
Despite dropping mine on a concrete floor, still on my original... haven't been brewing long, though.

How?! I really want to scream "LIAR!" in your face right now, lol. These things are insanely delicate - mine broke falling a mere FOOT onto CARPET.

How?! I really want to scream "LIAR!" in your face right now, lol. These things are insanely delicate - mine broke falling a mere FOOT onto CARPET.

You can believe I'm a liar if you'd like, but I think the only reason it didn't break was that it fell almost perfectly straight down. It bounced and I managed to grab it before it hit a second time.

jburk said:
You can believe I'm a liar if you'd like, but I think the only reason it didn't break was that it fell almost perfectly straight down. It bounced and I managed to grab it before it hit a second time.

That was meant to be tongue-in-cheek...

Im to careful with mine swmbo said if i break it i dont get a new one. Im sure shes kinding and she said while in one of those moods. I can imagine not having one its to importent.

I saw this thread the other day for the first time and I felt jinxed immediately. i was getting ready to bottle my second batch ever this morning, was grabbing my "stuff" and the cap fell off of my hydrometer tube and out it slipped onto the porch floor...broke the end right off :( No FG reading today, but after 3 weeks in primary, no worries.;)

Broke a hydrometer last night cleaning up after brewing a Belgian golden strong ale. First one I've broken in a couple of years; third broken overall.

A buddy of mine broke his hydro when I was helping him with a batch. Without warning, he had the idea to drop it straight into the carboy and before I had a chance to utter "hey..." - kablang. All was lost.

Still on my original hydrometer, 20 something years going.

Watch, now that I said that, kid's probably hammering a nail into the floor with it now as I type this.

IMG_92471.JPG

Thanx UPS ~!--

237+1=238

Hmm. I don't think its going to be too precise anymore... Thats tough though. Bought my replacement, put 'er in the saddlebag, once I got home I opened up the bag to get it out -I grab the box, and the bottom was open. I hated to look and expected to see the thing in 'kit form' but it was lying in the bag -completely whole. Going to be using it tonight. :) This one is one of those with a thermometer inside for easier temp corrections. Never had one like that before, so figured why not? I mean, I can break this one just as easily as I could any other one, right?

Busted one on Sunday, knocked it off a table.

The good news is that I took a preboil reading so I have a pretty good idea of the OG.

On the other hand, I rarely take preboil readings. Had I not taken the reading the hydro would not have been on the table.

238 + 1 = 239

Back