Menards sells used appliances for $9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinrathen

Reaction score
After a couple weeks of scouring craigslist for a deep freeze or refrigerator for my fermentation chamber I stopped in to menards. I noticed when I was driving in to the yard they had some used appliances by the gate. I stopped in and talked to the guy. He informed me that they are the appliances they pick up from peoples houses when they deliver new ones. They sell them for $9 with a 2 week money back guarantee. It's cash and carry, so you have to be ready to haul it right away.

I just scored a 25 cubic foot fridge that is under 10 years old, has one scratch on it and runs for under 10 bucks. If there is a menards near you, check it out!

That's pretty amazing. Doesn't really seem worth their time. Maybe it's more cost effective to pick up appliances and resell them for next to nothing than to dispose of them?

That's pretty amazing. Doesn't really seem worth their time. Maybe it's more cost effective to pick up appliances and resell them for next to nothing than to dispose of them?

Ya I'm not really sure how or why they sell them for so cheap. I do know that anything they have is $9, regardless of type of appliance, condition, or year. I checked mine out tonight and it was made in 2006 and is in excellent condition. There were refrigerators in terrible condition that were the same price.

photo1.jpg

Ya I'm not really sure how or why they sell them for so cheap. I do know that anything they have is $9, regardless of type of appliance, condition, or year. I checked mine out tonight and it was made in 2006 and is in excellent condition. There were refrigerators in terrible condition that were the same price.

That's exactly it. I worked for Sears a few years back. Our store had a local junk guy that came to get the old appliances for free. He would then refurbish and sell them or strip off the good parts and scrap the rest. Disposal fees are nuts. Espicially where older refrigerants are involved. I believe that the local dump charges anywhere from $25-$50 each appliance depending on what it is. If you can get someone else to use/dispose of it for you, and make a few bucks in the process, why pay someone else to throw it away for you?

That's exactly it. I worked for Sears a few years back. Our store had a local junk guy that came to get the old appliances for free. He would then refurbish and sell them or strip off the good parts and scrap the rest. Disposal fees are nuts. Espicially where older refrigerants are involved. I believe that the local dump charges anywhere from $25-$50 each appliance depending on what it is. If you can get someone else to use/dispose of it for you, and make a few bucks in the process, why pay someone else to throw it away for you?

Ya I figured it had to do with disposal. I also sort of thought that a company that big would have a way to turn the good condition appliances in to a bigger profit for themselves. Or that some local used appliance companies would be on to it and pick up all of the stuff they have.

Regardless I'm going to keep checking every time I'm close to a Menards. Need at least one more for an eventual kegerator.

Nice find! I do enjoy bargain hunting, but I don't believe there are any Menards in the Carolinas.

I wonder if home depot, lowes or other places that sell appliances have something similar? Might be worth checking out.

Back