Working for Anheuser-Busch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobTheAverage

Reaction score
So I just got off the phone with a recruiter for Anheuser-Busch. I have a second interview on coming up for a job as a "Group Manager." I would be working on the floor managing one of the processes at a brewery in Columbus, Ohio.

Although homebrewers are typically indifferent to Budweiser as a product, what do you know about Anheuser-Busch as a company? Do you know anything in particular about the brewery in Columbus? What about working for a brewery in general?

I am looking for hard facts more than opinion. Super duper points if you have worked in a brewery.

First US brewer to pasteurize beer, and they pioneered refrigerated rail cars in order to keep their beer nice and cold as it traveled all over the country taking away business from local breweries throughout the first half of the 20th century- fact not opinion

but anyways congrats on the job

It may or may not be a biased opinion, but the documentary Beer Wars had some interesting insights on each of the big three as companies. Regardless, it was a very interesting watch, especially if you are into the craft beer scene.

If there is one positive thing you could say about AB as a company, it's that they have always striven to be at the forefront of brewing technology.

I know people who work at the Goose Island production brewery in Chicago, which was purchased by AB/Inbev, and they have complimentary things to say about working for the new owners since the sale.

I have some friends who have worked on co-ops with them in St. Louis. They weren't full time employees so it's probably a little bit of a different atmosphere than you might experience, but as far as I can tell they've all enjoyed working for AB.

I've taken a tour of the Columbus facility. It's enormous. IIRC, they have two separate boil kettles which run 24/7. In the command center, you could watch different parts of the production. Also, they have several bottle and can lines running. when I toured, they were automating the pallet and truck loading utilizing RFD technology. I'd think that would be completed by now.
the whole tour was amazing.

Additionally, the person who gave the tour (a lab chemist; they don't offer tours at the Columbus site) seemed quite happy to work for AB. He also indicated INBEV, in his opinion, was improving the company for the better.

Good luck with your interview.

The place is huge and from what I have heard a good place to work at and retire from. Columbus is a pretty fun city to live in as well, plenty of good bars and nightlife going on.

i have heard interviews with at least a few head/assistant brewers within the craft industry that started out at big timers like AB (one of them was for sure from AB), so I think if you can get into the industry anywhere, it will pay dividends in the long run if your ultimate goal is to get into the craft side of things. go for it, good luck with the interview.

They actually have an amazing amount of support systems and internal organizations for their employees, including a large company wide homebrewing club. One of their members was on here for awhile. AHB was actually giving hops and other stuff to the club.

It's on the employee resources page.

Employee-Resource-Groups-1.jpg

They call them ERGs, Employee Resource Group

Great People Make a Company Great

Home » Our Company » Our People » Employee Resource Groups

To further our commitment to diversity and support the company’s business objectives, we have established Anheuser-Busch Employee Resource Groups (ERGs). The ERGs provide education, awareness, and professional growth and development opportunities for employees. The groups are:

Creating Real Opportunities for Women’s Networking (CROWN) – Women’s ERG
Hispanic and Latino (HoLa) – Hispanic and Latino ERG
Black Leaders Achieving Diversity through Engagement (BLADE) – African American ERG
Asian Pacific Islander (PAC-ASIA) – Asian and Pacific Islander ERG
Employee Alliance Group of Leadership and Engagement (EAGLE) – gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and friends ERG
Community Action Project (CAP) – Community Service ERG
BUD employees Supporting Armed forces & Veterans Everywhere (BUDSAVE) – military support ERG
Home Brewers ERG

There's a discussion about their club here....

I have heard great things from friends who worked at AB. Very good company from all reports and one of hte most advanced breweries int he world. Looks great on a resume too if you want to do your own (more creative) thing later.

have picked up beer from 3 different plants, L A, Saint Louis, and Fairfield Ca, ever person I spoke to had the same thing to say about working there, and getting a job. "the only way you get a job for A B, is for someone to retire

They probably wouldn't notice a 50 pound sack of grain missing. (don't steal from work)

Latest posts

Back