yeast choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busmanray

Reaction score
good morning members,
im making a irish red ale and would like to get more of a lager
characteristic.i would like to know if i substitute wyeast #1272 american ale yeast with a wyeast #2112 california lager yeast which is used for a california common steam beer.would i have bad results?
thanks

Sounds like a good idea, just don't ferment at too high a temperature. It'll work alright into the mid-60's, but you'll probably get a lot of esters in the upper 60's or higher.

I would think that it would turn out just fine, be sure to keep it at lower temps though, because even that particular lager strain still needs to be much cooler than most ale strains. If you want lager like characteristics, try using nottingham and fermenting in the lower 60's, may be a little easier than the 2112 which could put out some funky flavors if it got too warm, unlike nottingham, which will just be more ale-like if it gets a little warm.

Back