Denver CMC group grain buy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doobliebop

Reaction score
This thread is for the third Denver area group grain buy from the Colorado Malting Company.
The thread for previous group buys can be found here.

Ordering: I'll be using Google Docs to keep tallies on the order: Link to google doc
Update this document with your intended purchases. You do not need a Google account to edit it.

The ordering window for this group buy closes on 4/25 at 5pm MST. Please have your orders in before this. At this time, the spreadsheet will be locked, and invoices will go out to all participants.

There is a minimum order of 1000 lbs for this group buy to go forward. (Edit: We're a go!)

Minimum split: 25lbs. If you want to further split your order, please arrange to do this privately. Grain will have to be ordered in increments of whole sacks (50 lbs). If the orders end up such that there is an unmatched half sack, the last one added will be dropped from the order.

Contact: If you wish to contact me, post in the thread as I am not a premium member, and don't want my inbox flooded. If it is a private matter, email me at thedividedsky@(google's email service).com

Updates: I'll update this post with relevant information. Post #2 is reserved for tallys, lists of who has paid etc.

Prices: CMC has new prices effective March 1st. They are $0.75/lb for everything except unmalted barley ($0.25/lb), with the exception of the unmalted purple hulles barley which is $3/lb. They are out of malted Purple Hulless barley, have no plans to malt more and as such I am taking it off the spreadsheet. Also, they are currently out of white wheat (as of 3/22). If I am told they get more white wheat in stock I will post to the thread and update the spreadsheet accordingly.

Shipping: Shipping cost is a flat $150. This cost will be divided by the number of bags once the order is finalized. CMC would prefer to deliver the malts to a private residence as opposed to the business lots we have used in years past. We are looking at a pickup at Dahoov's place in Centennial on Saturday 5/7.

Payments: After the orders are closed I will PM everyone their total amount due. At that point you should mail a check to CMC. Once the check clears, your order goes on the truck.

Milling: In years past CMC has milled bags for members of the group buy at their request. I will inquire whether they are willing to do this again this year. If they are, you can mention that in response to receiving your total amount due, and I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.

I added my request. They are working on a malted millett. I wonder if that is ready yet. The last update to their news page referencing it was in January.

If we think we can save some $ by going to get it ourselves I have an enclosed trailer I can volunteer along with my 4Runner if I can get some help with the gas. It gets about 15 miles per gallon with the trailer attached. According to Google Maps it is about 480 miles round trip to Alamosa from my home. At today's gas price that is roughly $115. I could safely carry around 2000 lbs in the trailer plus about 500 in the 4Runner.

I added my request. They are working on a malted millett. I wonder if that is ready yet. The last update to their news page referencing it was in January.

If we think we can save some $ by going to get it ourselves I have an enclosed trailer I can volunteer along with my 4Runner if I can get some help with the gas. It gets about 15 miles per gallon with the trailer attached. According to Google Maps it is about 480 miles round trip to Alamosa from my home. At today's gas price that is roughly $115. I could safely carry around 2000 lbs in the trailer plus about 500 in the 4Runner.

Next time I speak with Jason I'll inquire about the millett.
(Edit: Jason says millett will not be available until July.)

As far as shipping, I'm inclined to let them take care of it. He seems to recall our past two orders have been in the range of 6000lbs, and he's willing to do it for a flat $150.

...Jason would prefer to have the malts shipped to a private residence as opposed to the business lots like we have done in years past. If anyone wants to host a party on the drop-off day, chime in. Otherwise, I guess I will!...

I have a 3 car garage with nothing in the third bay (well, tools and such). I could receive it there and people could come at their leisure to pick up their grain. I live near Tower and Quincy on the South East side of town.

I have a 3 car garage with nothing in the third bay (well, tools and such). I could receive it there and people could come at their leisure to pick up their grain. I live near Tower and Quincy on the South East side of town.

Works for me! Thanks for volunteering!

Just put in mine. :)

And with that, we're a go. 1000 lbs! :rockin:

I need to set a date to stop accepting orders by. Does anyone have any input on this? I'm torn between wanting my grain soon, and at the same time keeping the ordering period open long enough to allow everyone the opportunity to get in on the deal. CMC has mentioned they would like some lead time so I'm thinking keeping it open about a month?

I'm proposing closing orders on 4/25 at 5pm MST, and try for a drop off on Saturday 5/7?

Thoughts?

I need to set a date to stop accepting orders by. Does anyone have any input on this? I'm torn between wanting my grain soon, and at the same time keeping the ordering period open long enough to allow everyone the opportunity to get in on the deal. CMC has mentioned they would like some lead time so I'm thinking keeping it open about a month?

I'm proposing closing orders on 4/25 at 5pm MST, and try for a drop off on Saturday 5/7?

Thoughts?

Sweet! Same as you would rather sooner, guess I can buy a bag in between. How much lead time does CMC need?
Guess we need to make sure they can get checks in time too. Then do we just split the delivery fee and send a second check?

Awesome!! Gratuitous dancing banana!! :ban:

I'm flexible on dates. As a relatively new AG brewer, I buy all my grains by the batch right now at the LHBS or online. So I don't mind waiting as long as we need to. Also, since I'm up in Fort Collins, it'd be nice to plan in advance a little since I don't get down to Denver all that often.

I'm fine to keep orders open til 4/25 to let others get in on it unless there are strong objections to the contrary.

Thanks for organizing this, doobliebop.

Thoughts?

This is fine by me. :)

Sweet man thanks for taking this on!
I just signed up for 150 base malt and 50 lbs of pils!

Thanks again!

I have used at least 150 lbs of CMC Pils over the last few buys.

Great malt for use in American Wheat, Blonde/Cream Ales etc. I have even made a killer Pale Ale with it.

Does CMC still offer prices discounts once an order exceeds so many pounds? I seem to remember in the Denver bulk buy #2 we got a substantial discount considering we ordered some where around 5,000 lbs (I think). Wayne do you remember off hand, you have been involved in most, if not all of the Denver bulk buys? Anyway, might be worth it to ask.

Thanks!

Does CMC still offer prices discounts once an order exceeds so many pounds? I seem to remember in the Denver bulk buy #2 we got a substantial discount considering we ordered some where around 5,000 lbs (I think). Wayne do you remember off hand, you have been involved in most, if not all of the Denver bulk buys? Anyway, might be worth it to ask.

Thanks!

I'll put this on my list of questions to ask them later today.
Answer: No.

I do not have a temperature controlled fermenter at this time. I have not made any lagers since my days at Rockyard.

The last group buy I was involved with was group buy #2 about a year ago. There was a significant price break at 3000 lbs. Things may have changed since then. The total order for that buy was 6350 lbs. Some people did not show for the pick up and Jason had to carry almost 1000 lbs back to Alamosa.

Riverfrontbrewer's idea about the pre-pay certainly helped for the last buy as everyone showed up.

I think pre-payment is a good idea. Gets some skin in the game and builds a good relationship with our supplier.

If anyone from northern Colorado is reading this thread and thinking about getting in on the buy, go for it. Then PM me and maybe we can make arrangements to carpool for the pick up.

I got the word out to my home brew club here in Pueblo. We should see a few of them jump on board. :rockin:

What is Sunset Purple?

Anybody know? I tried looking at the website but was unable to find anything

Edit: I just called, they said it's some sort of experimental malt. It doesnt really turn the beer that purple, but they are working on it (?)

Update from CMC:

5/7 drop looks good to me...no other price breaks - Sorry!

Also, the purple is a hulless barley strain of Ethiopian Black barley and is basically a adjunct grain like wheat. It is purple in color but so far the tannins leach out fairly quickly and the best anyone has done is a pink shade by the end of the boil...I wonder if Ph is an issue? But we've had some very high class brewers at New Belgium use it and it hasn't given great results for color. Still though it can contribute new flavors, mouth feel, etc. In beer different is always good. 13.5% protein.

You are correct we don't have any of it malted in stock, only unmalted raw purple hulless barley aka "Sunset Purple" It is also a locally Colorado grown grain.

Ok, so I think I had this backwards. They have the unmalted colorado purple, but not the malted. I'll update the spreadsheet...

I just put 25 lb of red wheat on the order in case anyone wants to split a sac.

I personally would prefer the white if it becomes available but will go with the red if not.

Dahoov,

I'll be in FL the weekend of the 7th for my brother's wedding. I get back Sunday afternoon and if it is OK can pick it up then. I think we land at DIA ~12ish so I could be down there around 130-2. I have a test on Monday and Wednesday (finals) so if Sunday is a no-go then either Tuesday AM or Wednesday PM and on would be ok. Let me know. Thanks again for agreeing to have the drop at your house.

Dahoov,

I'll be in FL the weekend of the 7th for my brother's wedding. I get back Sunday afternoon and if it is OK can pick it up then. I think we land at DIA ~12ish so I could be down there around 130-2. I have a test on Monday and Wednesday (finals) so if Sunday is a no-go then either Tuesday AM or Wednesday PM and on would be ok. Let me know. Thanks again for agreeing to have the drop at your house.

I work from home, so unless I am on a run to the LHBS or grocery I will be here. I will keep everything safe in the garage and out of the weather. :fro:

Same goes for everyone.

I work from home, so unless I am on a run to the LHBS or grocery I will be here. I will keep everything safe in the garage and out of the weather. :fro:

Same goes for everyone.

Cool, thanks a lot. I will plan on Sunday then. Thanks again!

Made my order. Thanks for organizing this, doobliebop.

I've just recently gotten into brewing - have only done one batch so far. I definitely plan to continue improving my technique, and making as much beer as I can drink/get my friends to drink. My first brew was a partial mash. I apologize in advance for any absurdity in my questions.
That said, is it advisable for a "new" brewer to start buying large quantities of grain? I'm assuming that this would need to be moistened to germinate, then dried and cracked, or have those things already been done?
Finally, a much larger question - is all grain brewing just a more time-consuming process, or is it a significant learning curve? A 50 pound bag could get me a long way in this hobby, but I'm wondering if it would be "safer" to continue heading to the homebrew store and buying one recipe at a time.

Thanks!

Back