Losing yeast in blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
Hi, so I brewed up an american wheat 2 nights ago, and its fermenting happily in my closet, a little too happily maybe. It blew through the airlock the first night and covered my floor in krausen, and so I put a blow off tube on it. 24 hours later, its still pouring out the blowoff tube, and I'm worried I may be losing some yeast in all this blow off material. I used dry Safale yeast, and am using a 5 gallon carboy filled up to about 4.5 gallons. Thanks

You might lose yeast along with the beer that comes out of the blow off. (It's very hard to ferment a wheat beer with only .5 gallon of headspace, as you've found!)

Don't worry. Fermentation is going well, so even if you lose some yeast (or alot of yeast), there is still plenty of yeast floating around in the beer to finish up fermentation.

phew, I was worried, thats for the assurance guys. Maybe I'll put a 6 gallon carboy on the Christmas list :mug: . This wheat is the most active fermentation Ive seen so far, at times it looks almost like someone is swirling it with a stick.

Its still fermenting quite intensely, and the blow off container has some sediment on the bottom. I sure hope I havent lost a bunch of yeast due to this

I racked onto a belgian ale (WLP550) yeastcake on Friday night and that thing is still a yeast geyser! Healthy belgian yeast goes friggin' crazy! I don't think it's anything to worry about. The fermentation is obviously proceeding, so there's no problem a little oxiclean can't fix later. Last time I had a blowoff like this, the beer turned out great. RDWHAHB

Back