Lime Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duker

Reaction score
Has anyone tinkered with with adding lime flavor to an ale?

There seem to be quite a few commercial brews coming out with lime flavoring added.

My homebrew has seem to become a hit with the friends and neighbors, and I have had a request to try adding lime.

Any suggestions on which type of kit (lighter ale I'm sure) and flavoring to use?

In my opinion the ideal time to add lime is direct to the bottle, post fermentation ;)

I haven't tried adding any fruit my beers but I know that there are specific things to consider using citrus fruits. There are people here who have and I'm sure they'll help!

Most folks I've seen here that did it with any success used the zest rather than the juice of the lime.

I added the zest of four limes to a wheat last spring. I think that four is probably about the most I'd add. I put them in the brewpot with five minutes left to boil. The wife liked it, and that's who I made it for.

Thanks for the info guys, I will let you know how it works out.

Im working on ading Roses sweetened lime juice to the primary fermentation after it has started 4 OZ for five gallon batch and then 4 TBLS with the priming sugar befor bottling

Im working on ading Roses sweetened lime juice to the primary fermentation after it has started 4 OZ for five gallon batch and then 4 TBLS with the priming sugar befor bottling

What's it sweetened with? If it's a fermentable sugar, it may NOT be a good idea to add it AND priming sugar at bottling time. If it is a fermentable sugar, then you might want to consider using it INSTEAD of the priming sugar, like some people bottle with brown sugar, or honey...

If the sweetener in the roses is fermentable you could be setting up for bottle bombs.

I'm interested in how this turns out.

The Roses sweetened lime juice is a staple bar ingediant, corn syrup and lime juice, My original Recipee For 2 1/2 gallon batch is 3 lbs of Muntens Extra light Dry malt extract 1oz Cascade hops divided into thirds at 60, 30 and 10 minutes in the boil. also was 1/2 oz of bitter orange peel . Muntens yeastinto primary after 4 dats in primary added 2 oz og the Roses sweetened lime Juice and finshe the week before going to secondary another week . bottled with priming sugr and TBS of the Roses sweetend lime juice. At bottling tasted prety closr to Bud light Lime. now after week of aging and it tastes more of the hops and bitter orange is pleasant to drink with good hint of lime. but i think i want less bitter hops flaver for my next try. this would be a nicely flavored lime light ale i beleive. Lime could be adjusted up or douwn to preferance. My next try 2 1/2 Gallon batch: i plan on adding 1/2 lb of rice syup and 4 oz crystal 10lbut dont khow how much to cut back on the extra light dry malt extract and definatly undecied about the hops as have seen some recipes even doing wiyhout with a wyeast 1056 for the yeast any ideas would be apreciated newbie in LAND OF OZ

I tried a lime brew over the summer and used 1 can of Minute Maid frozen Limeade in the bottling bucket. The lime flavor was good, definitely present, but not overpowering. Unfortunately I need to work on other parts of the recipe, but I would use the frozen Limeade technique again.

I tried a lime brew over the summer and used 1 can of Minute Maid frozen Limeade in the bottling bucket. The lime flavor was good, definitely present, but not overpowering. Unfortunately I need to work on other parts of the recipe, but I would use the frozen Limeade technique again.
Did you also use priming sugar, or should the limeade be used in place of a priming sugar?

Back