Improving mouthfeel??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
What is the best way to improve mouthfeel in your brews? FYI I do all grain brewing. Read a lot about adding lactose or maltodextin to add body, but i am looking to nail it down in the mash or grain additions and keep on keepin a Reinheitsgebot brews going. Most i have brewed are mashed at around 152-153 and wondering if bumping to 155 or adding another type of malt in will help out. using a pale 2 row as base as i have 100lbs of it sitting around. I recently did a southern tier hop sun clone that turned out freakin amazing, except it lacked a little mouthfeel compared to the commerial offering.:mug:

I think it's a combination of malts. The "easy" answer is to just add some dextrine/carapils malt to your mash but I'd suggest maybe thinking about what flavor profile you want as well. For example, oats in a stout would really work.

Could you post a recent recipe, and we could look at it and see where the lack of body is coming from?

yooper, this is the recipe i was talking about. I'm not saying it was watery but i drank the commerical to compare mine to it had more mouthfeel. Looking to improve mouthfeel for this as i will be brewing this one again real soon

5.25 lbs 2 row pale
3.125 lbs wheat
.5 lbs 60 crystal

Mashed at 153 for 90 minutes

60 minute boil
hops schedule
60 minutes - .80 oz 8.9aa Centennial
30 minutes - .35 oz 8.9aa Centennial
5 minutes - .5 oz 8.9aa Centennial

Yeast - Wyeast American Wheat 1010 starter from washed yeast

Dry hopped in 2nd with .90 oz 8.9aa Centennial

Back