Hops grown, then die...??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMadison

Reaction score
The first two years my hops rhibosomes were in the ground, they grew about 4 feet tall then turned yellow and died. I water them about every time I water the vegetable garden. They are growing in Northern Michigan, zone 5, in full sun, and climb up my 3 foot wire fence which I train them across.

Any ideas why they may be turning yellow and then dying about halfway through the growing season?? :confused:

The first two years my hops rhibosomes were in the ground, they grew about 4 feet tall then turned yellow and died. I water them about every time I water the vegetable garden. They are growing in Northern Michigan, zone 5, in full sun, and climb up my 3 foot wire fence which I train them across.

Any ideas why they may be turning yellow and then dying about halfway through the growing season?? :confused:

You may have overwatered them. They like to dry out some then get watered thoroughly. Also they don't like to be watered on their leaves. Use the hose low and give them a soak every few days. It's rhizomes btw...

You may have overwatered them. They like to dry out some then get watered thoroughly. Also they don't like to be watered on their leaves. Use the hose low and give them a soak every few days. It's rhizomes btw...

Thanks for the suggestion! (Thanks for the correction too! Too much biology studying...)

Back