Improving on my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukem

Reaction score
Hi.

A while ago I did post asking about my brew as it was around 28C while fermenting, everyone said it would be fine it could just have some 'banana or off flavors'. I was hoping to get some advice on improving my next brew. It has been bottled for 2.5 weeks and I have had a little taste

How did it turn out so far?

It is carbonated, you can see the bubbles, yet it kind of tastes 'flatter' than a bought beer but still the bubbles seem a little more 'tangy'. I have no idea how to explain this, I leave it.

The head goes quite quickly, I understand the sugars you use can effect this. I used a 'brew mix' from the LHBS that includes malt extract, corn syrup and glucose.

It tastes warm and kind of like a cooked or burnt syrup, not actually too bad, it is not over powering or anything.

And it sometimes tastes bitter or 'metallic'

So I was hoping you all could give some tips on improving the next brew. Could the metallic taste be from my water, or hops? how do I further improve the head, and it the syrupy taste most likely just from the warm fermentation?

I keep reading that a secondary carboy and letting ti clear for around 2 weeks will help a lot. I think I will be investing in that. Can I just transfer it somewhere (clean) and clean the first carboy that transfer it back for the secondary?

Thanks again for the advice.

Luke

lukem said:
I understand the sugars you use can effect this. I used a 'brew mix' from the LHBS that includes malt extract, corn syrup and glucose.

It tastes warm and kind of like a cooked or burnt syrup, not actually too bad, it is not over powering or anything.

And it sometimes tastes bitter or 'metallic'

Luke

My advice would be to ditch the corn syrup (except for priming your bottles) and skip the glucose. Use all malt recipes. No reason not to use high quality malt sugars in this day and age. That is unless you want to make Bugweiser.

If you bottled after a week in the fermenter and it's been 2.5 weeks, you need to wait another 2-3 weeks for it to condition.

I agree with david 42. that "flat taste" will improve in a few weeks when there is more carbonation. If you drink half your batch between now and then you'll be kicking yourself when you taste how much better it is.

Thanks,

I have not drank half of it, though I very well could :) My brother and I have just tasted a couple each.

Oh well I'm started a second batch this weekend, and I'm going to get a secondary. Should be good.

Latest posts

Back